Patio Door

I can not really afford to replace the patio door, it is about twenty years old..one of the screws on the door handle will not tighten down after many years of usage....anyway, someone suggested I just use glue, not sure that is a good idea.....can someone advise me on what to do, it is a glass and metal door that goes out and on the patio in the backyard....tnx...Gary

Reply to
Gary Boyer

Usually the handles are an add on item. The door only has holes drilled or cut into the frame. The threads are part of the handle assembly. They sell new ones at Lowes and Home Depot for less than $20.

Alternately you might be able to retap the threads to one size larger screw. Maybe even add a portion of a plastic plug to the hole to tighten up as temp fix.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

A permanent thread repair can be done with HeliCoils. These are widely available in SAE, metric and NC thread sizes. The complete kits are quite reasonable, maybe $8 or so for smaller popular sizes. They may be a bit intimidating for the first timer, so following instructions precisely is a must, and having a knowledgable friend to help is a plus. The repaired threads are much stronger than the original. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Try a few toothpicks in the hole

Reply to
m Ransley

If you use the toothpicks trick it should be with carpenters glue to last the longest.

Reply to
Art