Patio cover

I will be putting up a patio cover for a friend.

He is interested in a metal cover like the one here.

Does someone recognize the material ? Painted steel or aluminum ?

Would Loews or Home Deposit carry that material ?

Thanks.

Reply to
Andy

When I tried to open that link, Norton blocked it saying it was a "FAKE AV attack".

Reply to
trader4

trader,

The link works fine on my iPad, with either my newsreader's web viewer or the Safari and Dolphin browsers. It also works fine on my PC with Firefox and IE.

I'd blame Norton and classify it as a false positive. My favorite AV app is Avast Free for the PC.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

The link describes it as aluminum. There are plenty of metal alternatives. Galvanized steel has been used on farm buildings for years. Modern steel roofs come in various styles and colors. They might be worth a look.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

My concern would be the noise from any type of metal. Sitting out in the rain, under a protective cover, can be quite enjoyable. However, the metal roof might make a lot of noise.

What about heat? Will this cover be exposed to direct sun light? Any chance that it will radiate a lot of heat down onto the patio?

What about fiberglass? You can get this stuff which will let light through, might not heat up as much and would probably be quieter than metal. Just one of many hits when searching for fiberglass roof panels...

It comes in wide range of quality, colors and translucency (?).

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That looks like pan roof and HD/Lowes carries it in 10 or 12 ft sections (12" wide) It is a whole lot cheaper if you can get an aluminum supply house to sell it to you and you can get any length you want. They roll it out like seamless gutter. The problem is contractors may control the market and suppliers may not be able to sell retail without losing their wholesale business.

Reply to
gfretwell

There's some company that advertises here all the time that has a roll out awing. Either hand cranked or electric. By hand seems okay to me

I'll note their name if you want. I have no idea the comparitive cost, but maybe about the same.

Reply to
micky

There are 2 basic kinds of pan roof. There is the single layer that is typical metal roof, transmitting heat and sound or here is the kind with 3" of foam sandwiched between 2 metal layers, either preassembled panels or field assembled from 3 parts. That is very well insulated and quiet.

Reply to
gfretwell

The fact that it works, doesn't prove much. I would think most of the websites with viruses work, in the sense that the page comes up. It's just that it's also putting a virus on your PC.

You could be right, maybe it's a false positive. I'm just reporting what Norton reported, FYI.

Reply to
trader4

This is a bad idea.

Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

Stormin Mormon

You are correct, sir. I should have worded my response in a clearer manner. My point was not the opening of the website per se, it was that none of th e AV programs on my systems complained about the content. By "opened fine" I meant it opened without any AV warning.

FWIW, I'm using a different PC right now, which runs IE8 in the cloud and t he link "opened fine" on this system too. Just more fuel for the Nor ton False Positive fire.

Does Norton pop up that message very often? Here's a Photobucket link of th e same layout as the OP's link. Does Norton complain about this one?

DerbyDad03

r. My point was not the opening of the website per se, it was that none of the AV programs on my systems complained about the content. By "opened fine " I meant it opened without any AV warning.

the link "opened fine" on this system too. Just more fuel for the N orton False Positive fire.

No

Here's a Photobucket link of the same layout as the OP's link. Does Norton complain about this one?

No. I also tried the original again and this time it didn't complain about that either.

Reply to
trader4

My post was about a patio cover and some folks got some false positives from their anti virus software.

Some, but VERY few, do a half way decent job of giving some heads up to malware and viruses.

Most give so many false positives, that you end up wasting one third of your time telling them that the application is one that can be trusted.

So I have been using a good firewall alternative to the Windows Firewall.

So when any program starts, it asks if the application can be trusted or is an installer etc.

Knowledge is power.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Someone said if I posted more details, I could get more responses.

Is that still valid ?

Reply to
Andy

...snip...

The request for more details was in your other thread entitled "Metal porch versus wood porch cover".

Regardless, why wouldn't a request for more details still be valid?

Reply to
DerbyDad03