Patio : Clay + Rain = MUD

I am building an extension to my patio, the extension is about 7' x 14'. I had started to dig out to about 6" below grade when it poured with rain. The soil is very clayey and it has left me with a mess which is almost too liquid to lift out and too thick to drain. It seems that not matter how much I scrape off, it remains a sticky gooey mess. I was going to put down 2" of pea gravel and then 4" of concrete on top of that. I am reluctant to go any further given that the soil is so unstable. Does anyone have recommendations ?.
TIA
Thanks all,
I am in Houston TX so frost is not a concern. It is already 88 here so I guess I'll let it dry for a week. Then I'll put down the gravel and compact it a bit.
On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 23:02:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (Keeswijn) wrote:

Be sure to scrape off any mud. Pitch the base and make it smooth to avoid any puddling under the gravel. Put landscape cloth between the clay and the gravel. Compact with a machine.
Jim