Patching Painted Concrete

I have an interior concrete wall that has been painted with what seems to be swimming pool paint - turquoise and tough as all get out. Unfortunately, the painter didn't patch the imperfections in the concrete surface before he painted. I'm guessing the dents are air bubbles from the original pouring 40 years ago.

My understanding is that typical patching compounds (like Top 'n Bond) only stick to raw concrete. Any suggestions on how to patch the divots?

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris

What I would do: * Use a hammer and chisel to remove the paint inside the divots and to rough up the surface. * For very large divots, drive some concrete screws into the hole so the new concrete has something to hold on to. * Apply concrete patching compound. Get it nice and smooth. * Let it cure completely. I would give it a couple of weeks. Concrete continues to cure for an amazingly long time. * Repaint.

Concrete won't stick well to paint. Paint won't stick well to uncured concrete.

Reply to
SteveBell

That's what I was afraid of. Oh, well, brute force it is.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Rustoleum Epoxyshield concrete patch and repair. Great product. You will probably have to order it on line. I bought it from J C WHitney but I think Amazon has it too. We pactched cracks and holes with it and you can then paint in 12 hours instead of having to wait weeks for it to cure. You are basically filling the cracks and holes with a 2 part epoxy. It isn't going to come out, that's for sure.

Reply to
Art