patching old bathroom tiles


Renovating a bathroom in a 1920's house, which had a 1970's re-do, I pulled off the paneling and found the original tile, 95% in good shape. Question is what to do about the small holes in the remaining 5% of the tiles. I'd like to fill them with some material that can be painted to match (as best as possible) the color of the tiles. Any suggestions on filler material and paint type?
--
tmefoy

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
tmefoy wrote:

I would attempt to replace the tiles. If it's a 1920's bathroom, you probably have 3x6" white subway tiles. At least that's what every 1920's house in my town has. And we also have a salvage place in town where I can buy any number of old tiles that will closely match what I already have in my bathroom. Of course then you will need to remove the old tiles and thinset in the replacement tiles, but a good tile guy can do that without too much difficulty. If you think you want to tackle that yourself, write back here and someone other than me can give you info on how to do the replacement yourself.
Ken
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.