Patching Nail Holes In Floor

Hi group,
I am ripping some old wall-to-wall carpeting to expose the hardwood floor underneath. (The carpet is shot and I hear hardwood floors are in these days.) The problem is the edges of the carpet are stapled to wooden slats which are nailed down to the floor. The nails are easy enough to pull out. The floor is in good shape and I don't plan to revarnish anytime soon. What is best to use to fill in the nail holes?
TIA-ZV
I had a similar situation. Red Oak hardwood floors hiding under old wall to wall carpet. I even had a corner of linoleum at the front door. What I did was simply remove all the nail fragments, and carefully scraped to remove glue under the lineoleum. Examine the amount of cupping on the flooring. If its not too bad and the original finish still there, I'd take a bucket of warm water with soap and clean the floor. Don't pour water on the floor or otherwise soak the wood though. Wipe off excess water as you go, and if necessary, dry with an old towel. Ideally, the nail holes aren't all that bad, and you can leave well enough alone until you refinish the entire floor. Refinishing is a major job that will require careful research concerning methods of sanding, filling of holes (such as your nail holes and cracks between boards), securing of loose squeaky boards, and choice of finish. Because our old finish wasn't really horrible, we decided to put off refinishing for awhile. If the finish wears to the wood, that's not all bad because when you refinish the flooring, you'll be sanding down to the original wood anyway. Just put a throw rug over really worn areas to keep the worst dirt from getting ground into the grain. I hope this helps.
Zack V. wrote:

This is being done every day in my area and incresing the value of the houses. The slight scaring and staining from nails is considered charming. TB
Alan wrote:

Zack V. wrote:

I use colored putty -- available at hardware or paint stores -- and I typically end up with at least two different colors to match the grain where the nail hole is. Sometimes you have to mix putties to get a match.
You could try touch-up markers -- the color of the putty isn't as vital, but you want to start with a light colored marker first. You can always darken it, but starting too dark means you'll probably have to dig out the putty and start again.

Wood putty.