Patching My Leaking Roof - Part 3

Hi guys,
I got alot of discouraging comments many posts below. But a man has got to do what a man has got to do.... (till he drops!!)
I am not calling the roofer just yet.
It was raining hell Monday here. Today is Wednesday but my roof is still very wet. So, I will wait till maybe Saturaday and see if my roof will be dry by then. If it dries by Saturaday, I will go up there and wash the area near the little hole. And then wait another day till Sunday. By Sunday afternoon when the sun is on top of my head, I will have my brush and the can of Black Jack Fibered Roof Coating and pour the thing there and paint it all over that area.
The can says it will take 2 days to dry. I will have to keep a close eye on the weather.
After it dries, my plan is to put a thin layer of Henry Wet Patch Cement on top of the Coating. This should stop it from cracking.
This is my plan. Any final word before I go nut with my roof?
boaz wrote:

Yes. Good luck, and stop starting new threads on the same topic.
I've been there, but many of the patching compounds explicitly say you can use them on wet roof- I wouldn't wait- roof leak is no joke.
According to my research, my roof is what they call a Built-Up Roof. It is built layer after layer. A total of 5 layers if I remember correctly from the roofer.
According to one of the articles, the leak is usually in the flashing area for my kind of roof. I am not sure what flashing means but I am gussing it is the edges and the joints. So, in addition to what I am planning to do, I will have my chisels ready and cut out all those old tar on the edges and paste new henry wet patch cement all over there (in large quantity if necessary!)
I have plenty of buckets here. So, it should not be any more problem here if it keeps rainning.

correctly
Layers of what? Shingles laid on top of old shingles?

Stop. Call a roofer.

Catching the water in buckets after it's already ruined your ceiling joists, drywall, insulation and other parts is an incredibly stupid plan.
Call a roofer, get it done right before you end up wrecking the entire thing.
I re-roofed my house 8 years ago. They took out everything and then they laid all kind of stuffs on top of the roof. Fiberglass thingie, all kind of paper brown and black. And then they boiled the tar thingie and pumped the hot tar to cover the layers of paper. And then they put more paper on top and finally the paper with sand.
And no, I am not calling the roofer.
According to my research, my roof is what they call a Built-Up Roof.<BR>&gt; It is built layer after layer.&nbsp; A total of 5 layers if I remember<BR>correctly<BR>&gt; from the roofer.<BR><BR>Layers of what?&nbsp; Shingles laid on top of old shingles?<BR><BR>&gt; I am not sure what flashing means<BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
just wondering how big the hole is in your roof..
I think it is the standard size you can buy from Home Depot. They only have one size. ($30 each) The width of the hole is about 6 inches wide?
When it is not raining nut like last Monday, there is no leak. But if the water begins to back up to form a pool, it will leak. And last Monday, the pool of water was 2 to 3 inches deep up there around the drainage. What I did was to rush to Home Depot to buy a water pump and ran the wire and hose to the top and started pumping water away.
just wondering how big the hole is in your roof.. <BR><BR><A href="http://www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm ">http://www.minibite.com/america/malone.htm </A><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

water begins to back up to form a pool, it will leak. And last Monday, the pool of water was 2 to 3 inches deep up there around the drainage. What I did was to rush to Home Depot to buy a water pump and ran the wire and hose to the top and started pumping water away.

It's still leaking, just not enough for you to notice.
One thing you need is a bigger drain.
boaz wrote:

That often happens to trolls.