Patching hole in yard lamp pole

Page 2 of 2

I'd go with the electric tape. The tape may dry and come loose after a year or two. Sunshine contains generous ammounts of UV radiation, which is tough on electrical tape.
I've seen UV resistant black vinyl tape, but not sure it's at stores.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Does it come from volcanoes :-)
Mine comes from my HVAC parts house, which is pretty much the same thing. No worries. Big adress with a bunch of melted rocks, and lava and magma. Occasionally, stuff flows down the side of the building. Not molten rock, more like icicles.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Prof Wonmug wrote the following:

I've read the replies so far. I will repeat a solution I mentioned earlier for weatherproofing AC ducts. Get some Con-tact shelf paper to wrap the pole around the hole. It comes in Black too. It will look better than electrical tape.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Not that it matters, but the hole is for a plastic bar that comes with the lamp post. I have 2 of these from home depot. Its a straight bar about 18 inches long that is designed to slide through the holes.. you do have 2 directly across the post, right?
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 05:35:18 -0800 (PST), "mike_0 snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com"

This pole was installed way before we bought the house, probably 30-40 years ago. It did not come from Home Depot. There is only one hole. It looks like is was drilled by hand (ragged edges).

Moisture will make the contact paper look like crap after a short time, and then he'll also have to clean the gooey adhesive off the pole.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:

It's called contact paper, but it is a plastic film.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I thought shrink tubing was just that clear plastic stuff for electrical connections. I didn't know it was available in larger sizes.

Probably available larger. But it's a silly idea for this purpose. Did you find anything useful at the funky hardware store?
On Tue, 15 Dec 2009 13:34:30 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I never got over there. It's not real close, so I was waiting for some other reason to go over there. In the meantime, I used black electrical tape. The next time I'm over that way, I will stop in and see if they have something, just for fun.

Silly idea.

Unless the light fixture itself is barely larger than the diameter of the pole on which it's mounted, he'll have two choices, both bad:
1) Find shrink tubing big enough to easily slip past the fixture. In that case, it'll be quite a bit larger than the pole, which would make it the wrong size. Of course, without knowing the size of the fixture vs the pole, this is conjecture, but excellent conjecture.
2) Remove the fixture in order to install the shrink tubing.
I love shrink tubing. I think it's one of the most amazing things ever invented, second only to penicillin and twist-off beer caps. But it's not right for this purpose.