Patching hole in yard lamp pole

Not that it matters, but the hole is for a plastic bar that comes with the lamp post. I have 2 of these from home depot. Its a straight bar about 18 inches long that is designed to slide through the holes.. you do have 2 directly across the post, right?

Reply to
mike_0_007

Moisture will make the contact paper look like crap after a short time, and then he'll also have to clean the gooey adhesive off the pole.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:

It's called contact paper, but it is a plastic film.

Reply to
willshak

or, try the obvious.

Buy a photocell to fit the hole.

Reply to
TimR

This pole was installed way before we bought the house, probably 30-40 years ago. It did not come from Home Depot. There is only one hole. It looks like is was drilled by hand (ragged edges).

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

I thought shrink tubing was just that clear plastic stuff for electrical connections. I didn't know it was available in larger sizes.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Probably available larger. But it's a silly idea for this purpose. Did you find anything useful at the funky hardware store?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

That's what I ended up doing. A few wraps with black electrical tape and it's sealed. After I finished, I could still see a depression where the hole is, which made me wish that I had cut a small piece of plastic or thin metal or something to cover the hole first. If the tape wears off, I'll do that next time.

Thanks

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

I never got over there. It's not real close, so I was waiting for some other reason to go over there. In the meantime, I used black electrical tape. The next time I'm over that way, I will stop in and see if they have something, just for fun.

Reply to
Prof Wonmug

Thought I answered this thread already- the tape and the thin metal can be one and the same. Metal furnace tape or those metal patches they sell in the auto body repair aisle. Trim to correct size, paint with a spray can, and when dry, stick on the the surface you degreased before-hand.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I doubt anyone else will notice. Maybe it's a good luck sign?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That sounds like the kind of store I can spend a day in!

Reply to
Tony

Silly idea.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Unless the light fixture itself is barely larger than the diameter of the pole on which it's mounted, he'll have two choices, both bad:

1) Find shrink tubing big enough to easily slip past the fixture. In that case, it'll be quite a bit larger than the pole, which would make it the wrong size. Of course, without knowing the size of the fixture vs the pole, this is conjecture, but excellent conjecture. 2) Remove the fixture in order to install the shrink tubing.

I love shrink tubing. I think it's one of the most amazing things ever invented, second only to penicillin and twist-off beer caps. But it's not right for this purpose.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom