Patching drywall from electrical work

I recently had an electrician come in to run power to a staircase that was dark. In order to extend the power, he had to cut several circular holes in the drywall or the ceiling to reach the existing power. He left behind the holes he cut, so in theory it should be easy to replace the hole, but I'm struggling with how to patch the holes in the ceiling.

I tried just using spackle/paste around the edges, but the problem I ran into was that it was difficult to keep the hole piece flat and flush with the existing ceiling. How can I patch this effectively?

Many thanks in advance....

--charlie

Reply to
Charlie

If I understand correctly... Slide a board (1 x 2 or 1 x 3) into the hole. Cut a piece of dryeway close to the diameter of the hole. Screw the patch piece to the backing board. Use some monofilament or strong thread to pull the board tight so you can drive the screw. You can also drive screws through the intact ceiling to anchor the board and then patch over the screws.

Now, finish to match the ceiling.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Hi,

You can get some nylon mesh (tape or square patch, depending upon how large the holes are) at your local hardware store. Put that on much like you would do a corner with a very thin layer of spakling (fill the mesh holes and enough to tape it to the sides) and let it dry. When it dires, then put a second spacking layer on a little heavier and then sand it smooth. That works like a charm.

Reply to
Tumbleweed36

Typing in a hurry while listening to someone talk to me... I meant drywall, of course.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Send this link to your electrician so he knows how to make it easy for the next time:

Like Dave suggested you can probably slide a 1" x 3" or wider piece of wood up there and anchor it with some drywall screws. Butter the back of the drywall pieces with a thin layer of joint compound where they will contact the wood. Joint compound has some good adhesive qualities. Push the pieces into the opening and gently secure with drywall screws. Let this dry a day and then go back and tape over the seams and apply one coat of joint compound. Let it dry another day and add another layer of joint compound using a bigger knife to finish. You will need to feather it out over a wide span so that it doesn't look like a lump. Use a damp sponge to smooth it out when it is dry. You may need 3 or more coats of joint compound to get it looking good. Let it dry in between coats. I like to sponge in between coats just to keep it smooth.

John Grabowski

John Grabowski

I was watching Ask This Old House show and they told of a new product where you put these clips with drywall screws on the side of the hole. You then fasten the cut out piece into this clip which eliminates the need for a back board. I saw this same kit in Home Depot in the drywall section.

Joey

Charlie wrote:

Reply to
Joey

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far. To be clear, the holes are only about 3-4" in diameter, but let me recap to make sure I understand the suggestions.

Take a narrow, wide piece of wood and position over the hole(s). Secure in place (through the ceiling?) with drywall screws. Adhere the filler pieces to the wood with joint compound. (Is securing the piece with drywall screws necessary for such a small piece?)

Let dry. Tape over seams and apply joint compound. Let dry. Apply another layer of joint compound. Let dry. Sand, sponge, smooth to get a blended effect. Repeat as necessary.

To address Joey's suggestion re: clips - it sounds like an interesting idea, although I'm worried about the clip splitting the drywall around the edges of the hole. I'll stop by Home Depot and ask them about it, though, as I'll need to get some tape and adhesive.

Thanks again to everyone's help - I'm breaking new ground here patching my ceiling. :-)

--charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Joey those clips sound nice and John I like the 45=BA tip too. I've always done this with the front and back thin stick method or sometimes if the hole is small I twist drywall screws in the cut to jam the piece in. I find that the trick is to bevel the edges of the cut to get rid of the furry cut edges of drywall paper. Then the compound can be smoothed easier and the job's often done in 2 or 3 passes. It's always a good idea to save those pieces. Making up new ones of the right thickness and shape can be a pain. Richar

Reply to
spudnuty

That's good. Some people take the holes with them.

Home depot sells for not much money, a dollar or two for 2 or 3 or so for 4, a set of metal clips for this very purpose. After the joint ismostly patched, the metal part at the front bends back and forth and breaks off. Well you have to bend it. It doesn't just bend by itself.

I haven't used them yet, but they look good.

I bought a card's worth in Dallas and saw them in Baltimore also.

mm

Hey thanks. Just in time for me, I have to patch a leak caused hole in my ceiling.

It's sort of obvious aftter you read it, but most stuff is obvious AFTER someone tells you how.

mm

For such small holes you can use wood lath pieces approximately 7" - 8" long. You can put a temporary drywall screw in the middle to position the wood and hold it in place while you secure it using drywall screws through the drywall.

I suggest at least one drywall screw to hold the piece in place.

Take your time. Don't try to accomplish too much at once. Use thin coats of joint compound.

Reply to
John Grabowski

*You* don't. It's the electrician's responsibility.
Reply to
Doug Miller

everyone is assuming you know what they mean about putting a backing up there

poke a backing through the hole, and when you let go it is covering the hole... (its just floating over the hole as you look up) it doesnt fall because it is past the ceiling but larger than the hole...

put a screw on each side. screws go through the ceiling, and of course into the backing this will suck the backing towards you.

if you can't get screw started into backing...put a temporary screw in the center of the backing...(looks like a backing pop)...this might give you enough counter pressure to start the other two screws. If that is not enough (pending on the backing you might use) then put a toggle bolt through the center of the backing...this will give you plenty of counter pressure...then unscrew the toggle bolt (of course you will never see the nut again) EVER!...

you can also put money in the walls like this...

Reply to
chickenwing

Thanks John, that 45* trick is great. Can't imagine how I haven't thought of that before, or ever seen it before. I have developped lots of tricks, but not that one. I'm about 3/4 of the way through rewiring an entire (small) house, and I really wish I'd seen that tip four years ago, but at least I will use that on the last bedroom, the dining room, and the remaining closet.

Reply to
kevin

I thought it was "drywall", but I still wondered if you had something else, that I hadn't heard of.

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
barbarow

You guys are overcompilcating this, quite a bit. I have done this several times, and if you use enough spackling to glue in the sheetrock hole it will stay in place without any metal clips. The trick is not to even try to get it even (flush), you want slightly in, like 1/16th or something like that. Then after it dries you can fill in the 1/16 and sand until it's flush with the rest.

Reply to
scott21230

As so many others have said, use a backer piece of wood. I find a paint stirrer with Liquid Nails sufficient. I also get good results from taking the shaft of a screwdriver and making the edge of the hope concave, since cutting usually splays it out and makes rough edges.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I came up with that tip about 18 years ago working on a shopping center. We had to make several access holes and the drywall guys were quite annoyed about it. When they saw how easy it was for them to fix the holes they actually thanked me. It was great that WD-40 made a video to demonstrate it after I suggested the idea to their forum. They gave me a WD-40 tool belt for that suggestion.

Reply to
John Grabowski

i am lost

I can't picture your technic how will this fix the drywall

a 7-8" lath piece makes me think it's round

you mean like a paint stirrer to put inside the hole?

Reply to
chickenwing