patching drywall...any advice appreciated!

My wife and I are repainting our bathroom. It came with a border at the top of the wall which we have had a HECK of a time getting off. In some places we have scraped past the paper of the drywall. We have put putty up and sanded it and painted but it looks odd. The wall itself where we havent scraped has the consistency of the outside of an orange, but the repaired section is smooth and different.
Is there a way to make the patches look like the undamaged sections, short of putting up new drywall?? We are new to any type of drywall repairs so....thanks for any information. God bless.
Rob

Spray on drywall texture. Available in aerosol cans at Home Depot. Lowes, etc.
i think you are describing the knap of the rollers used. put the new paint on with a thicker roller 1/2 or 3/4 knap should do the trick

. The wall itself where we havent

It sounds like you have a texture on your wall called "orange peel" or sometimes just called "knock-down". You would have to study up on that technique if you want to match your patch. Plenty of books on this subject. Get a book and compare the photos in the book to the texture you have.
That type of texture is probably created by spraying texture onto the surface and then yu "knock down" with a taping knife or trowel to get the texture. You could practice on some scrap drywall for a while before you try to match the patch to the surrounding wall.

First, please work on painting a word-picture. It's really difficult to work your words into a picture.