Patching A Ceiling?

I recently moved into a hundred year-old bit of a dump, where the previous owners had left a hole in the roof that lets rain fall into one of the upstairs bedrooms. I'm going to fix the roof sometime when I can afford it, but does anyone know of a way to patch the hole in the bedroom so it doesn't leak any more?
Ron
-- "Brought to you by TARDIS Express. When it absolutely has to be there, *before* you sent it."
You mean you want to leave the roof leaking and fix the ceiling, that is backwards.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

hint; most roof leaks start at some flashing point. slather on that black gick. it goes on in wet or dry conditions. good luck. Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and the government when it deserves it. -Mark Twain
Ron Hubbard wrote:

You can't fix the ceiling until the roof is fixed. ROOF FIRST.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Greetings,
I don't have enough information to answer your question but I going to fill in some of the blanks and make a stab at it anyway.
a) purchase a bucket of tar-based roof-patch from lowes / home depot (ask employee which brand) b) go outside on the roof and spread it over the affected area with a trowel c) wait until it rains with your fingers crossed
Hope this helps, William

to fill

(ask
a trowel

I live in a huge two-storey house where I actually have no idea where the leak is since it can't be seen from the ground and given the sloping roof and how high it is from the ground, I have no desire to try going up there.
However, some tar paper might keep the rain from falling into the bedroom until I can afford a roofer to do the work.
Ron
Greetings,
The water MUST go somewhere. You can attempt to ensure it all drains to the same spot but it might look very low class.
Purchase a plastic drop-cloth and some cheap furring strips. Tape the plastic drop-cloth on the ceiling around the edges to hold it up and then nail furring strips around the edges to hold up the drop-cloth once wet. You will need to make a small hole for the water to run out in the center. Place a large bucket under the hole to catch the water when rains.
Hope this helps, William
PS: I wouldn't take this route myself.