passed the rough inspection

The inspector came by yesterday and was satisfied (whew!). Thanks to everyone who answered my questions about what a rough inspection looks like, and how to connect eight grounds in a box.

For the rough inspection, he didn't want the devices connected but he did want to see the wires in the box joined together, with pigtails ready to be attached to the devices. Luckily I had a couple of boxes with devices attached and he approved the way I was doing things based on those examples.

For the eight-ground problem, where I had two switches each feeding two pot lights, he made three observations:

- There does not need to be a ground pigtail to a switch. That eliminates two of the ground wires I was worried about.

- He said that with the type of boxes I am using, which have a raised lip on either side of each grounding screw, I can attach two wires to each screw -- one on either side, passing straight through (not wrapped around the screw). The lip ensures they'll stay put. With two ganged boxes, that gives me eight grounding points and I don't need a cap at all.

- Contrary the guide I was following, he said that it was not necessary to run one wire to both ganged boxes. These are metal boxes attached together with two screws (the kind where you can remove the side plates) and the mechanical connection between them provides enough conductivity.

Regarding protection for cables that come out of a 3-inch box attached to a nominal 2x4 stud, he said I didn't need the plates I had attached.

As for my choice of layout, he showed no concern at all.

The whole thing was pretty quick -- I think he has a busy schedule.

Thanks again for the responses and the moral support.

-- "For it is only of the new one grows tired. Of the old one never tires."

-- Kierkegaard, _Repetition_

James Owens, Ottawa, Canada

Reply to
James Owens

It can be 30 or more a day here. You were fortunate that he took the extra time with you. Sounds like a good guy.

Reply to
Greg

Hi, When I had my inspection the guy looked into a roughed in box with flash light and asked me if I was an electrician. I said, "No, I am retired EE" He just signed off. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Tony Hwang posted for all of us....

Doesn't keep you from giving out bad advice...

Reply to
Tekkie