Paslode Nail Gun - Being Made in China !

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:57:25 +0000, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Shit - you're making $8/hr at Walmart?? Where do I sign up??????
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 08:09:01 -0500, Don Carpenter

You can do better than that at In-n-Out Burger in California!:~)
050428 2256 - HeyBub posted:

Yes, you should keep up. Adam Smith, a British economist who has been quoted by American statesmen, and Justices of the Supreme Court of the United States, wrote, in his book Wealth of Nations, published in 1776, "If the free importation of foreign manufactures were permitted, several of the home manufactures would probably suffer, and some of them, perhaps, go to ruin altogether...". He noted that "two great engines for enriching the country, therefore, were restraints upon importation, and encouragements to exportation." Mr. Smith had studied under Professor Francis Hutcheson, who had written, in his book System of Moral Philosophy, in the chapter Of the Nature of Civil Laws and their Execution: "Foreign materials should be imported and even premiums given, when necessary, that all our own hands may be employed; and then, by exporting them again manufactured, we may obtain from abroad the price of our labours. Foreign manufactures and products ready for consumption should be made dear to the consumer by high duties, if we cannot altogether prohibit the consumption; ...".
We can't even compete in the information age. Third world countries like India are taking our "call center" jobs and programming jobs, etc. We will soon have nothing to sell anyone. Then all the wags will say "Who could have known?". Then we will become a third world country. No country stays great forever. Look at past history. We are no exception. Look at the last days of the Roman empire. The excesses continued up to the end. It will be the same here.
Stretch
If there is a way to lower cost, people will find it and do it. If you find the way but don't do it, others will and you end up losing the business and your job anyway.
My take of outsourcing and manufacturing relocation has always been if another guy tens of thousands of miles away can do what you do for one tenths of your salary, then perhaps you do not deserve the high pay and the life style that goes along with it.
The reason we enjoy the life style for the past 50 or 100 years is precisely because we do things other people can't and we name the price in the market place. The only way to keep it going is to keep innovating.
yaofeng wrote:

you
if
one
and
price
Under the condition that others dont steal ur idea for free. Dont forget people in China steal from their own compatriots on ideas.
I agree with you. When America and it's real Americans no longer have job skills with manufacturing then the ball is in the foreigners court and they will call the shots with their modernized engineered weapons and consumable products and when and if they choose to throw their weight around who will stop them then? It's all over for a lot of us and it won't be pretty for many more in the near future. Thank the empty hearted/headed politicians and ceo's and those who'd rather get short term profits at the expense of those wrkers who once made this the great nation we used to be. It's how some greedy Americans squandered what once was the best aspect of America. It's coming.......
Rich-out-West wrote:

Rich-out-West wrote:

The trade "deficit" is a misnomer. There is no deficit. The trade is equal dollars for equal product.

I'm sure the buggy whip manufacturers were bitching and complaining as well in the early 1900s, but new technologies and industries come along all the time.
050428 1110 - Nehmo Sergheyev posted:

And so, the race to the bottom...