Parts Washer...what do you use?

I have heard many people use either Mineral Spirits or Kerosene. Since I just bought one, I am not sure what to use. I will mostly be cleaning mower/motorcycle and other misc. parts. What woudl you use?

TIA

Henry

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

We sell a safety solvent at the parts store just for small washers.It's a higher flashpoint and not too hard on the skin. Plus it work great too. I clean small parts with it rather than trying to throw them in the hot tank.

Reply to
Al

I personally use a jar full of kerosene for most parts, yo ucan leave it settle, pour it through a coffee filter and reuse. For really grungy bits you can use one of those coffee cans full of carb cleaner with a dip bucket.

Anymore I mostly am working on old bicycles, although I theoretically still have some car projects going (no time to work on them anymore though)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

The one time I had a parts washer, I didn't use it enough to justify the service contract. I ended up sending it back. Now, for greasy parts I take them outdoors and blast em off with ether starting spray.

That said, I don't know what they used. I suspect mineral spirits paint thinner. How do you plan to get rid of the old stuff when it's unusable?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you go to a NAPA store, they sell a container kit with cleaning solution in it . I dont remember its specific name but it appears to be just want youre looking for. I think it comes with a tray that you submerge into the cleaning solution.

Reply to
ilbebauck

That is for cleaning carbs, and it is VERY expensive.

Reply to
salty