Parking lot resurface

Page 2 of 2
On 2/3/2016 12:16 PM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

Isn't that what I said: One would almost think it easier to rip up the existing asphalt, regrade it and then lay *new* asphalt!
Which leaves the original questions: What sort of monies ($US) are involved in "repaving" a parking lot? And, is this expressed as some_fixed_cost + cost_per_unit_area? Does the asphalt contractor also take on the demo and regrading?

Yes, I was agreeing with you.

I would expect any reputable paving contractor (not sealcoat company) would handle the whole job.
Cost such a local thing, you are going to have to talk to a couple of local contractors to get quotes. Does have the equipment and crew or does he have to sub out some of the work? How hungry is he?
How he comes up with his number is kind of immaterial. You don't know if he has a large nut to cover or brings on crew and equipment as needed. He's also not going to give you a quote without looking at the site. There's all sorts of things that need to go into the quote - access, drains, curbs, light poles, off site parking for crew and equipment, easments, permits...
On 2/3/2016 4:13 PM, Arthur Conan Doyle wrote:

Is any soil testing required or being done?
On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 12:55:46 -0700, Don Y

Following up to my answer - re cost per square foot - yes the paving contractor generally does the removal and excavation. Any company that does not have that capability should stick to residential driveways - which require less equipment .
On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 12:16:52 -0700, Arthur Conan Doyle

Only a total fool would repave over a non-stable pavement.
On Wed, 03 Feb 2016 11:39:39 -0700, Don Y

Think $2-$4 per square foot for the paving, plus removal and renovation costs. I'd suspect the hundred thousand dollar guess would be on the low side.
On 2/3/2016 3:30 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd SWAG'ed $250K. I think there's about 30K sq ft involved (though they could "cheap out" and leave a portion of the parking lot unpaved). I figure the old has to be removed. The site then regraded (city code requires all rainfall on a property to be handled *on* that property so you can't just let it run out through the curb cuts into the street). A gravel underlayment put in place (to keep water that would seep through inevitable cracks to the hard-pan beneath from heaving the asphalt). Then, paved and finally painted/signage. Of course, all the while ensuring compliance with any *new* city codes/inspection (ADA, etc.).
When I offered my guesstimate, they dismissed it as TOTALLY RIDICULOUS: "It *can't* cost that much just for a parking lot!"