Paranoid Plumbing Problem

Whilst driving a nail in, I nicked a copper water pipe (3/4" L) on the backswing with the top of the hammer. It left a little bright mark against the thoroughly tarnished pipe. Knowing where it is, I can just barely feel a little crease.
I am telling myself that most pipe is damaged worse than this just in normal tranportation and installation, but there is that nagging prescience of disaster.
Harmless? If it does fail, would it be a drip or a burst? I am not worried about a drip, as it is in plain view and I would notice it pretty quickly.
Ah, there are days (perhaps months?) I should stay away from tools.
Why is the cold water pipe so tarnished, while the hot water pipe right next to it is still bright? I would have expected the opposite.

If it's not leaking now, you should be fine. If you are real paranoid, put a gob of JB Weld on the spot. I doubt it's needed though. Type "L" is heavier than type "M" anyhow.
The reason the COLD pipes are tarnished is because they sweat in hot and humid weather. The HOT pipes dont sweat or not as much anyhow.
If you stay away from tools, your wife might get upset. Wives like men that make use their tool.... (oops, wrong tool) :)

If it stays in "plain view", don't worry for the moment.

I bleed being around sharp instruments, especially if I look at 'em...

Metal transitions in the pipes (types)?
One question, is the tubing type M(red writing on it), L(blue writing. or K (Green writing) I would not worry about K(heaviest) or L. M is the lightest, but would not be a problem for a scratch. If it is a gouge, you may get a seepage leak years from now, but probably not. I can't imagine that it would burst in any case.
Cold lines usually tarnish, probably due to oxidation due to high relative humidity in their environment when the pipe is cold. Room temperature pipe or warmer would not cause this.
Stretch

Type L. Seepage won't be good obviously, but it is hardly worth "fixing" now; especially when I think of the work it will take to get all that tarnish off.

I guess that makes sense.