Paragon Electric analog timer for hot water heater, model 4001-00

I'm trying to figure out how to set up our hot water heater to turn on around 6am (but also so it will turn on as needed when the hot water is used at other times, e.g. if someone takes a shower in the afternoon). We have a Paragon Electric model 4001-00 timer on the unit; the dial turns clockwise, and there's an arm that can point at a time of day. Could someone please explain how to set this timer? Thanks! Tim

Reply to
Tim

There should be 2 trippers - an OFF and an ON which screw on to the perimeter of the metal dial.

You can set a time on and a time off, and that's it. With an additional set of trippers, you can set more time segments. However... unless this water heater is grossly losing heat due to poor construction or lack of insulation, you aren't really going to see any appreciable energy savings by turning the heater off for short (4-5 hour) segments of time.

Electric water heaters heat what's inside and then turn off. They won't turn back on unless hot water is used, or the unit loses substantial heat (cools off) and that takes many hours.

And the recovery rate is very slow. You can't heat "on" at 6am for a 6:30 am shower...

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

This is Turtle.

Look inside the door housing that closes the clock up and it will have the instruction on it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Thanks for the info, and for the advice. It's an oil burner, and the tank is only a few years old, so I assume it's fairly well insulated. I was concerned that we were wasting fuel by having it set to run at any time. Tim

Reply to
Tim