papering plaster walls

I have a 100 year old house and have started removing wallpaper. The original layer appears to be the old-fashioned all paper wallpaper applied to an unpainted plaster wall. Some of it is adhered so tightly that many small areas of damage to the plaster ocurred on removal. I plan to fill the holes and damaged areas with joint compound and reinforcing tape, and then use wallpaper liner to smooth over the imperfections. I have several questions: 1) do I really have to prime the walls first? 2) can I use sizing instead? 3) can I size and put the liner over the old paper?

spackling compound or patch repair compound shouldn't crack later on like joint compound does, though joint compound with tape installed properly shouldn't crack

This notion is flatly wrong. If there is settling there will be cracks. I don't care what compound is used.

However, it may cause bubbling (which usually drys out flat.) If you do this, you will (probably) be ok BUT if you have unsound surfaces underneath you are simply compunding the problem.
I'd recommend stripping the old paper off, patching, & priming with ONLY Draw-tite or Gardz. It will make removal easier next time around. And it will penetrate & bond any unsound surfaces underneath.
Uh, I do this for a living. 26 years.
Prime either way not with latex over paper as the water may bubble or loosen the old paper.