Paper As a filler

When I did some joint compound patch up work to plug up some holes in the drywall I quickly realized that it may not be smart to do so? I used newspaper to plug up most of the hole and then filled the rest with joint compound.
What are the downsides to this, if any?
Thanks
OFM wrote:

FIRE NESTING MATERIAL FOR MICE

If anyone applies pressure to that spot, it's probably going to fall apart.
I'm at a loss to understand why you wouldn't have either grabbed a book from the library, or simply gone to Google and searched for "how to patch holes in drywall".
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

The OP may have been talking about a fairly small hole, half inch or less. I have done the same thing myself on occasion, filling a hole left after removing a toggle bolt or drywall screw anchor. Wad up a little bit of newspaper, jam it in the hole tightly, makes a nice backing for the drywall mud.
Of course, anything much bigger calls for more conventional repair methods.
Jerry

<...snipped...>
<...snipped...>
He most likely already had the newspaper on hand.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.