Paneling or drywall ceiling under flat roofs?

I have a 10x12 or so flat roof on either end of the house. Always had trouble with leaks and had to keep replacing the sheetrock ceilings. One of the rooms extends the whole end of the house and is covered 1/2 by a pitched roof and 1/2 by the flat roof. The ceiling of the front part (under the pitched roof) looks like 1x4's (3 1/4" exposed) butted together, although it may be TIG.
I have replaced the flat roofs with rubber membrane systems and hope to have no further trouble, but I am gun shy (especially since I'm afraid the roof installation was not done correctly) and really do not want to drywall these ceilings in case there is a leak down the road and would appreciate alternative suggestions.
All suggestions appreciated!
JFM

Why do you think panelling would fare any better than drywall if there were a leak? ***Maybe*** it would contain the water and redirect it elsewhere, like toward on of the walls. Or, maybe the water would collect until it became heavy enough to pull down a piece of panelling. I think the sheetrock would give you earlier warning.
I wonder what it would cost to install a normal roof. I see framing carpenters doing an entire roof on a huge house in a day, and it's got shingles 2 days later.
What I meant was individual plank panelling.
If I were to go with drywall, would the green stuff intended for baths be better?
JFM
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:53:42 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Better for what? If the roof leaks, you'll know about it sooner or later, depending on which material you use. With sheetrock, you'd probably see a water stain pretty quickly. With "other", it might take a day or three or whatever. I think I'd go with sheetrock. I'd want to know sooner.
You cannot fix or cope with a leaking roof by picking a waterproof ceiling treatment. The best possible thing to do, if you're *expecting* a leak, is to not put anything on the underside of the roof-deacking at all.
At least that way it will have a chance to dry out again after it rains.
But it's a far better idea to just bite the bullet, and put up a roof-treatment that you can expect not to leak in the first place.