Paneling on ceiling

I have a room with a low cathedral type ceiling and the sheetrock is badly cracked. I was thinking of putting some paneling over it rather than replacing the wallboard, but saw on the manufacturer's label that the panels should not be used on ceilings. Can anyone tell me why? I can see no reason not to, unless it would sag or something. I appreciate any feedback, thanks.
It will sag at 2' on center and will be wavey even at 16" on center. Tounge and groove pine or ceder would be a better choice.
cnavarro wrote:

<< I was thinking of putting some paneling over it rather than replacing the wallboard, >>
Use a stiffer panelling with lots and lots of construction adhesive and the sag factor ought to be minimized. HTH
Joe
hey, consider paintable wall paper! I have used it several times on problem plaster areas. Sure, just gouge out the cracks and then fill them in with water putty or some sort of setting-type plaster and you are ready to prime and paper. It works great. I just did one, I finished painting it today. It looks very good. Some of the patterns resemble tin ceiling tiles so you can use some metallic paint on it and it will turn out very nice.

C > I have a room with a low cathedral type ceiling and the sheetrock is C > badly cracked. I was thinking of putting some paneling over it rather C > than replacing the wallboard, but saw on the manufacturer's label that C > the panels should not be used on ceilings. Can anyone tell me why? I C > can see no reason not to, unless it would sag or something. C > I appreciate any feedback, thanks.
The paneling will sag. When we were looking for houses one had paneling installed on the ceiling. Very saggy. I don't recall how well nailed it was but the thought we both had was "that would be taken down".
- barry.martinATthesafebbs.zeppole.com
* The best humour is served on wry...with a smile!
--
RoseReader 2.52 P003186
The Safe BBS Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971