Paneling on ceiling

I have a room with a low cathedral type ceiling and the sheetrock is badly cracked. I was thinking of putting some paneling over it rather than replacing the wallboard, but saw on the manufacturer's label that the panels should not be used on ceilings. Can anyone tell me why? I can see no reason not to, unless it would sag or something. I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Reply to
cnavarro

It will sag at 2' on center and will be wavey even at 16" on center. Tounge and groove pine or ceder would be a better choice.

cnavarro wrote:

Reply to
Mike Coonrod

Use a stiffer panelling with lots and lots of construction adhesive and the sag factor ought to be minimized. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Reply to
Chris

C > I have a room with a low cathedral type ceiling and the sheetrock is C > badly cracked. I was thinking of putting some paneling over it rather C > than replacing the wallboard, but saw on the manufacturer's label that C > the panels should not be used on ceilings. Can anyone tell me why? I C > can see no reason not to, unless it would sag or something. C > I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

The paneling will sag. When we were looking for houses one had paneling installed on the ceiling. Very saggy. I don't recall how well nailed it was but the thought we both had was "that would be taken down".

  • The best humour is served on wry...with a smile!
Reply to
barry martin