Pancake or tube compressor?

I was at Harbor Freight today. They had a pancake compressor and compressor with two tubes for the same price ($90). The compressor seemed to be the same, only the storage tank was different.

Why do they make two kinds, and why should I care?

I bought the pancake because it was a little lighter. I was a bit surprised to get it home and find it needed a regulator and a filter; the last compressor I bought came with those, so maybe it wasn't such a good price.

Reply to
Toller

I think the difference is mainly cosmetic. You just need to make sure the compressor supplies the amount of air you need -- which is difficult to tell because the manufacturers lie about the CFM's.

If the compressors are the same price, buy the one with the larger capacity tank.

I usually run my air hoses off the unregulated tank output. But sometimes I put a regulator and a short whip of 1/4" hose at the end of the long 3/8" hose (when the nail gun shoots all the way through the boards, or if I'm spray painting.) No regulator on the compressor itself is not a big deal. (It does have a pressure switch, doesn't it?)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

the air doesnt care what shape the container is in.

a big tank takes longer to fill. a smaller tank will fill quicker, but needs to be filled more often. in the end the motor is on about the same amount of time.

beyond a 'reasonable' size which depends on what you are doing with it, all a bigger tank is gonna get you is a bigger tank. buy a big enough tank, but after a certain point, the space it takes up is more important.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Why even have a tank at all? Why not use a tankless "air on demand" compressor?

The motor is on about the same amount of time, but with a larger tank you can draw more than the compressor can deliver for short amounts of time. This is important because consumer air tools all seem to be rated

4 CFM regardless of their actual air requrements, and compressors usually overstate their CFM by at least 50%. (lying bastards) A larger tank gives you some leeway with the tools' air requirements and duty cycles.

Even if tools were spec'ed properly, sometimes you need a big blast of air to seat a tubeless tire bead or to blow dust out of the garage or something, and you can't do that with a small tank (unless it's pressurized to 150 PSI or more, but that is extremely unlikely.)

Get the biggest tank you have room for.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Style and fashion affects tools, apparently.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch