Panasonic Viera TV ****-up

Page 2 of 2

The Panasonic is probably the most user friendly TV on the market. You might be greatly disappointed if you get another make as it might not be as user friendly and you will end up with more problems.

You never said if you if you had a regular digital DVR or if you have an HD DVR or if you are going to get rid of the DVR and use the direct feed from the cable only. If you have regular digital service (digital DVR) than you should watch programs in a 4:3 format which will have the black side bars. The stretch modes will distort the picture and make things look short and wide. Zoom mode will crop the top and bottom of the picture. Some people don't care about this, but if you do your picture isn't going to be 32" with the side bars. If you have HD than it's basically a non-issue if most of the channels you watch are broadcast in HD.

That is an optical audio output. I have NO clue if there is an adapter for it.
Add pictures here
✖

I'm curious...what exact model number Panasonic unit did you buy?
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 6, 1:53 pm, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Panasonic TC-L32U22 32-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV
HB
Add pictures here
✖

That is the unit that Amazon recently had on sale at a real good price I think
I started to order that unit myself but had to leave town for a week on a trip and wouldn't be home when they delivered it
Add pictures here
✖

I don't think anyone makes a TV with 4:3 any more. You don't need the stretching and you get a better picture with the sidebars in most cases.
I'm assuming you are not using an HD box? If not, you are really missing out on a much improved picture over SD. The difference is like driving a Pinto versus a Lamborghini. I'm so spoiled with HD quality I rarely watch anything not broadcast that way now. In HD, the 16:9 is very natural and you'll appreciate that 32" screen. That is what we have in our bedroom.
Do yourself a favor and check it out before sending that set back. You may be sorry you did a few moths later.
Add pictures here
✖

Yes, Verizon does rent an HD box. Much of this info I furnished earlier in this thread, but I guess it gets lost along the way.
 If not, you are really missing

It does have 16.9. I'm saying there is a button to change aspect ratio to this & that, none of which I find appealing. I end up leaving it in 4.3.

As mentioned earlier, I can't use a set that doesn't have a headphone feature, and this one doesn't.
Also, I see no reason why I have to dance between two remotes, one of which can change stations and do recording, while the other one controls volume and mute. That's ridiculous.
HB
Add pictures here
✖

You never mentioned that you had a HD-DVR.

Again, you don't have it hooked up correctly (seems that way). With a HD feed, the format on a Panasonic should be set to "full" (16X9). Using a HDMI cable or component cables will automatically make the changes from 16:9 to 4:3 depending on the broadcast.

Well, have you checked to see what TVs offer that feature? Have you checked to see if there is an optical audio output adapter to serve your purpose?

Sheesh.........you don't have the Verizon remote programmed properly....period. It's not the TV, or your service, it's the user!
Add pictures here
✖

BTW, go ahead and buy another TV, you will have the SAME problems, because you don't know how to program the Verizon remote.....call them, I'm sure they can walk you through it.
Add pictures here
✖

Most people?
I know plenty of ppl that prefer a stretched/zoomed 4:3 pic so it fills the screen.
Add pictures here
✖

That is fine if the show is not broadcast in HD, but it would be scrunched up to fit the 16:9 into the 4:3 framework. Check to see if there is an "auto" setting that will show the native format for you. FWIW, 16:9 is supposed to be what the eye naturally see.

That's a whole different animal. I don't know what is offered or what you have. Just be sure to check that out before you buy your nest set.
Add pictures here
✖

There is nothing wrong with that TV......as I posted earlier, Panasonic is probably the most user friendly TV on the market.
He still hasn't told us if he has just a digital DVR or an HD DVR.
Help can gone a long way when people answer questions.
Add pictures here
✖