Panasonic cordless drills are just dumb?

Are you retarded? All drills start from "near zero". In fact, I feel I can say wihout fear of contradiction they ALL start from EXACTLY zero.

A bit? As in drill bit? Anyone not properly center punching a starting point in metal or can't start a drill bit in wood at less than 2 revolutions per second should put the tool down and go play with some fuzzy toys in the rubber room.

Are you really this stupid or are you getting shots?

nb

Reply to
notbob

This is an advantage, how? What point is there in having a drill that turns slower? Howzabout 50 rpm? One revolution per second slow enough for you?

Wait! I do have one electrical device that turns at exactly 1 rpm. It's my friggin' clock!!

nb

Reply to
notbob

Very slow can, at times, be a help starting a screw with no pilot hole. Once you go about 4 turns, it makes no difference at all.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The reference is to the lowest driven speed on the variable speed trigger. Quality drills will start and run at very slow and controlled RPMs. The noted matsuSHITa drill jumps from zero to 100 RPM+.

Low RPM centering is generally required starting the Hilti hammer drill on concrete. Center punching metal is an extra step that required significant extra time handling other tools and is entirely unnecessary in many cases if you have a quality drill and know how to use it. Starting drill bits in wood is pretty easy, but starting long screws in hard wood requires low RPM initial drive to keep the drive bit properly engaged while the screw point is getting started and the screw is unstable.

Im not stupid, but either you are or you're just trolling.

Reply to
Pete C.

I guess you don't do any drilling in thick / structural metal, otherwise you would know that 100 RPM is over the top speed for larger drill bits like 1/2"+ in thick metal like 1/4"+ steel.

Reply to
Pete C.

In my reality, less than 2 revolutions per second IS "very slow" and I'm so old, I'm almost carbon dateable. I guess as a one-time machinist and someone who grew up using drill motors before the apparently now can't-do-without variable speed control, I don't understand why someone needs speeds slower than the orbit of the moon around earth to start a drill. Silly me.

No wonder manufacturing has been moved off-shore. Even "semi-skilled" appears to be an unattainable goal by our younger generations of drug addled dolts.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Funny, I was gonna say the same of you.

You've yet to present a single situation where less than 2 revs per sec is too fast for anyone with enough skill to hold an electric handtool w/o maiming themselves or others unless they are crippled, retarded, or spastic.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I'm a machinist. I also have an old all-metal Milwaukee 1/2" hand drill motor with one speed, 400 rpm. Anyone who uses ANY hand drill, with or w/o variable speed, to drive a half inch or larger drill bit in 1/4" steel w/o first driving a pilot hole or using a mag-base is a complete moron and a hack and deserves the broken wrist/hand/arm they will eventually sustain.

nb

Reply to
notbob

*Exactly* 1 RPM?

Wow, that must be a really expensive clock!

Cesium beam controlled, perhaps?

No, wait, even the so-called "atomic clocks" need to be adjusted from time to time (no pun intended)

*Exactly* 1 RPM? That must be some friggin' clock!
Reply to
DerbyDad03

I most certainly did, and everyone else read it troll.

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes. My Makita has no problem at all drilling a couple dozen 1/2" holes through 3/8" thick steel brackets on a charge.

Reply to
Pete C.

Funny, I'm a machinist as well. My Makita cordless had no problem at all drilling 1/2" holes through 3/8" steel plate without a pilot hole. I did try the first one with a 1/4" pilot hole and found it simply took twice as long to get the final hole done with no benefit. I've got two Bridgeport mills in my shop as well and both go down below 100RPM. I do have a Milwaukee Hole-Hawg that is not variable speed, however it's two speeds are slow and slower.

Reply to
Pete C.

Congrats! You hit the non-PC trifecta: crippled, retarded, and spastic!

Reply to
Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Neither speed being < 300 rpm. Besides, that long handle give more control than a Makita battery drill motor. Of course the Bridgports have speeds slower than 100 rpm, but yer not holding 'em in yer hand, are you.

Feel free to do as you wish. This man's momma never raised such a fool.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Someone hasta keep the the motorologically impaired gimps in the limelight.

nb

Reply to
notbob

If your tools are as old as you are, I'm sure you don't understand the improvements that have been made. When cordless impact drivers came out a lot of people said what the heck do I need that for, and when shown a demo of what they can do promptly said I'll take one. The same happened with auto dark welding helmets. You can do complex contouring using a rotary table and a manual mill, but why would you when CNC is cheap and available? You can cut steel plate for your project with a hacksaw, but why would you when you have a plasma cutter? Times change, technology both improves and becomes more affordable.

Reply to
Pete C.

I'm no luddite. I HAVE two battery drill motors. But it's stupid to try and start a "1/2+" drill bit in steel plate without a starting point of some kind (spring center punch and center drill ring a bell?), no matter how slow you can start the bit. Yes, I've done it, drilling steel strap brackets and steel cabinets for earthquaking with a 1/2" bit in a 1/2" drill motor, but it was neither easy nor fun and I consider approaching it that way a total hack. You can extoll the approach all you want, but it's just plain poor practice. Gimme two drill motors and the right tools and I'll smoke ya' every time.

nb

Reply to
notbob

One word; Bosch. I have DeWalts, PorterCable, and Makita. None hold a candle to the Bosch, both 12V and 18V varieties.

Reply to
krw