Painting with red paint.

Hi all,

I have heard some horror stories with respect to red paint. I recently painted a small room in my house with a deep red, in a low-sheen finish. The original wall colour was a very light neutral (think bleached dirt).

I did not prime the walls. Instead, I plastered the dents/imperfections, and then proceeded to sand the entire area with

150 grit paper. I then proceeded to 'wash' the walls with a damp cloth, to remove any dust left from sanding.

I applied the first coat on Wednesday evening....due to the tight space, there were a lot of visible brush marks and you could definitely see the previous color through the coat. I used a 3/8" roller in places, and that was equally 'transparent'....either way, I applied as much paint as the wall would accept without dripping.

Last night I returned to apply the second coat (and hoping I wouldn't need a 3rd and 4th coad). Same technique. Much better results. Once I was finished, the room looked fantastic....there didn't appear to be any trace of the original colour.

I am surprised that it only took 2 coats. Is it possible that the sanding/washing helped? Just curious, as I am about to do a much larger area in a yellow...which I hear is also quite difficult in terms of coverage.

Cheers, Dave So...do you suppose that

Reply to
Dave Bonnell

Good prep, good paint and good work make it work well. No one color is harder than another.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan