Painting Wall Outlet/Switch Plates

Short of exotic, expensive ones, outlet and switch cover plates seem to come in only white and almond, although not many people actually paint with these colors. I've tried to paint these plastic covers before and never been satisfied with the result. Is there an easy, inexpensive way to get these to match my interior paint color?
- Magnusfarce
Metal , prime and paint. Or plastic, prime and paint , spray.
that Krylon Fusion spray paint that is supposed to bond to the plastic might work pretty good on the plastic ones...
Wallpaper them, or use some kind of matching contact paper?
On 06 Nov 2003 16:06:07 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (HA HA Budys Here) wrote:

I got my electrical plates to match exactly to the walls. They almost disappear. I took a switch plate cover to the paint store and they matched that to the paint.

ROTFLMAO!
Excellent idea!
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Yup. Done several. The limitations in color choice don't allow exact matches, but something in the same range really tones down the plates and makes them acceptable. Standard spray paint advice, many light coats beats one heavy one. Don't forget the screw heads.
Jeff
1: remove them from the wall. 2: Prime them with a thin coat of spray primer. let dry. 3: Paint (spray if possible, otherwise brush) them with as thin a coat of the wall paint as possible. (don't force full coverage) let dry. 4: repeat 3 as necessisary
it's fussy to get them to look nice with a brush.
--
be safe.
flip

I used to see displays of *dyable* cover plates at Home Depot. They were kind of neutral off-white and they were some material that would accept dye. I guess you used fabric dye, I didn't look too close (or did but have fogotten, an equal possibility). That would have been mid-90s.
They don't seem to be there now, I've been to all my fave HDs lately and haven't seen 'em.
Chip C Toronto