Painting Wall Outlet/Switch Plates

Short of exotic, expensive ones, outlet and switch cover plates seem to come in only white and almond, although not many people actually paint with these colors. I've tried to paint these plastic covers before and never been satisfied with the result. Is there an easy, inexpensive way to get these to match my interior paint color?

- Magnusfarce

Reply to
Magnusfarce

Metal , prime and paint. Or plastic, prime and paint , spray.

Reply to
mark Ransley

that Krylon Fusion spray paint that is supposed to bond to the plastic might work pretty good on the plastic ones...

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

Wallpaper them, or use some kind of matching contact paper?

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

I got my electrical plates to match exactly to the walls. They almost disappear. I took a switch plate cover to the paint store and they matched that to the paint.

Reply to
Phisherman

ROTFLMAO!

Excellent idea!

...Jim Thompson

Reply to
Jim Thompson
1: remove them from the wall. 2: Prime them with a thin coat of spray primer. let dry. 3: Paint (spray if possible, otherwise brush) them with as thin a coat of the wall paint as possible. (don't force full coverage) let dry. 4: repeat 3 as necessisary

it's fussy to get them to look nice with a brush.

Reply to
Philip Edward Lewis

I used to see displays of *dyable* cover plates at Home Depot. They were kind of neutral off-white and they were some material that would accept dye. I guess you used fabric dye, I didn't look too close (or did but have fogotten, an equal possibility). That would have been mid-90s.

They don't seem to be there now, I've been to all my fave HDs lately and haven't seen 'em.

Chip C Toronto

Reply to
Chip C

Yup. Done several. The limitations in color choice don't allow exact matches, but something in the same range really tones down the plates and makes them acceptable. Standard spray paint advice, many light coats beats one heavy one. Don't forget the screw heads.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran