Painting Tire Rims

Page 1 of 2
I'm looking for ideas for painting the Wagon Wheel rims for my trailer.
I need to replace the tires, so I figure this is a good time to clean- up the rims also.
They have some rust, so I know I'll be sanding. I don't have a sand blaster and I'd rather do this for not much more than the cost of the paint - i.e. I'd like to avoid getting a body shop involved.
My plan was to use a paint stripper to remove as much of the old paint as possible, then sand any remaining rust off.
2 coats of spray primer, 2 coats of spray paint and a coat of clear.
Of course, that all sounds too simple. What am I missing?
Thanks!

Use Hammerite paint. No priming necessary on bare steel, it's a tough finish, and it's easy to patch. It has a textured surface, which would look pretty sharp on rims.

Thanks.
I'm currently running white rims on a black trailer. Doesn't look like Hammerite comes in a Hammered White, only Smooth.
Still, it seems I don't have to be as fanatical about the rust. I'll be looking for a local source. Thanks again.
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/hamrustcap.aspx
DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

Go retro. Paint the wheels Red, like most automobile wheels were painted back in the 30s.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I hate sanding- I'd go at it with an angle grinder and wire brush. [right from the git-go] I seem to use the cup style brush most often, but I have a couple others to choose from.

Different strokes, maybe-- I'd go with Extend, then a primerless paint. I used some of the True Value house brand this spring and was pleased with how it came out on some patio furniture. [I'd use Extend on the inside- but not paint it.]
I used to be a Rustoleum fan-- but my True Value guy knows his paints and suggested I try the primerless stuff. He made a believer out of me.
Jim

It's 3 rims with the spare, but I hear what you're saying. Thanks.

You're really bad at spending other people's money. You should be telling DD to get the things chromed, or to replace them and get spinners. ;)

the newest thing is soda blasting. It is eco-friendly and cleans up with water.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

compared to chemicals or beadblasting,I guess.
IIRC,sandblasting removes more material you don't want removed.(metal)

I've just seen it being done on a couple of TV auto shows. Muscle Car Workout(MCW) on WDBS CH.15 Daytona Beach(PBS),and IIRC,SpeedChannel's Chop,Cut,and Rebuild (CCR) It stripped the paint off a car body pretty quick,right down to bare metal. MCW used it on the car body and the frame.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 10/5/2010 6:22 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

It ain't the blasting media that is non-green in most cases. (I used sandbox sand last time I blasted something.) It is the crud that is stripped off the work that is toxic. Old lead paint, chemical residue, etc. Most cities require tenting when blasting building faces and such. Don't think anybody cares about a guy in a backyard, but the neighbors might.
--
aem sends...

Sada blasting is good for removing paint - not so good for rust.
-snip-

Only DD can answer for his job- but for me the only reason I'd paint the rims on my trailer is to preserve their life. Don't need powder coat for that. [Nor would I spend $30 a wheel to have it done when I could buy a new wheel & tire for $40]
OTOH- I might get some steel rims for my Impala- and powder coating them might interest me.
Jim

re: "Only DD can answer for his job..."
...and I will!
I can get some mid-range tires, same size as the originals (which have been on the trailer for 15 years) - $69 each, mounted and balanced. I only need 2, as the spare is fine.
The trailer is 15 YO, not spanking new, but certainly presentable.
Whatever I'm able to do in my backyard as far as cleaning up the wheels and painting them for the cost of the paint will be sufficient.
I'd sure like to know where I could get a new wheel and tire for $40. ST205/75R15 Load Range C
$69 was cheapest I found from a local trailer dealer. Online and in a local tire store, I've been quoted $85 to $100.
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 12:00:33 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

And do NOT cheap out and put car tires on. LTs perhaps, but not car.
On Oct 4, 4:29pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

While I do not plan on using passenger tires, it was suggested (by a tire store) that as long as the load rating for the tries is equivalent to the trailer tires (like a 7000 pound load rating vs. a Load Rating C) it wouldn't be a problem. When I ran that by a trailer shop, the guy sort of agreed but said that the price difference was so trivial, why not just buy a trailer tire.
That's the plan!
On Mon, 4 Oct 2010 14:24:05 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

The sidewalls on trailer tires are stiffer and stronger - a trailer that wags like a puppy's tail on passenger tires often trails along like it's not there on trailer tires. Many tire shops will not install passenger tires on a trailer.
On Oct 4, 9:15pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I know that.
I believe the point that the tire store guy was trying to make was that once you get up around a 7000 lb rating, the sidewalls of a passenger tire are stiff enough to support a 5 x 8 trailer, especially if you're not hauling anywhere near the rating.
In any case, as I said, I'm going with the trailer tires from the trailer shop once I clean up the wheels.

Wire brush the whewels befor repainting, wire brush on drill conforms much better to irregular wheel surfaces. And take a look at trailer wiring might be good to repolace it all at this age......
-snip-

For *my* trailer- Harbor Freight.

Mine is a 12" - I think you've got the right plan-
Jim

I would advise against relying on a 15 year old tire as a "spare", time and the exposure to the elements even if covered will reduce a tire's lifespan... Besides that unless you match all of the tires properties and ratings exactly you could have performance issues when you try to use the tire before it detreads or blows out...
As far as finding cheap tires and wheels, you go to your local junk yard and look for busted up newer cars that were in accidents that still have decent looking tires and rims on them -- bargains are to be found...
~~ Evan