Painting T-111

Advice from the Picasso's here. :)
I have a storage bldg with t-111 siding, its never been painted or stained. The "color" is the very weathered gray/black now.
I want to paint it a light gray. What do I need to apply to the bldg to make sure the finished gray coat will adhere and cover as intended.
thanks, JohN
On 6/19/11 9:16 PM, SirJohn wrote:

check out the discussion here:
http://www.painttalk.com/f6/prime-paint-t-111-siding-2195 /

Spray whaever you decide on rather than rollering it. It is the only way to be sure you are getting into the tiny openings in the surface.
I wouldn't advise spraying. You won't get as thick of coat as needed. The advice on that painters' link is good and mirrors my practice: Caulk any nail/screw spots. Check closely for any gaps in the laminations within the grooves... caulk/fill those gaps/openings. Roll, with a 3/4" nap roller (to get deep into any pits & crevices), 2 coats of oil primer, followed by 2 coats of a good exterior house paint.
My garage has T1-11 siding, constructed in 1989. Only a few spots have become compromised in the past, and most likely because of hurricane storm related damage (blown limbs against the siding), otherwise it is in good shape after all these years. It has held up so well, I installed T1-11 on my shop, primed and painted the same as the garage - Page down to the bottom for 1 pic on page 1, 2 pics on page 2, several pics on page 4... shop remodel: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04 /
Re - Both garage and shop: I caulked the panel's married seams, when installing. I installed a drip edge between the upper and lower sections.... seen fairly well in the pics, page 2, and not well seen on page 4, but there. I screwed all panels in place and caulked all screw sites. Don't suppose you have to reinstall any panels, just though I'd mention my application methods.
I'm not finished with my shop remodel. If you need some supervised practice with your T1-11 priming & painting techniques, you can come over and get some free experience, here.
Sonny

NOT PAINT STAIN!!
paint will peel and create all sorts of issues.
Stain soaks in and protects better and miniizes future maintence
On 6/19/2011 11:52 PM, bob haller wrote:

I second that emotion. I stained my T1-11 shed when built with SW gray stain and after 20 years, zero peeling but started looking a little rough, redid it w/o no fuss, no scraping, nothing but rolling on a new coat. Looks brand new.
--
Jack
Hey thanks for the advice and related experiences.