Painting Stucco

Page 2 of 2

Oren wrote:

Sounds like EFIS, a 'modern' replacement (that is not really stucco). Some major horror stories with that stuff here (where it does rain).

I'm not familiar with what "EFIS" is? The homes here are a three coat stucco. (I call them as looking like a Taco Bell)
There was a company here that was hawking some type of "ceramic" coating. Had all the typical "but wait, there's more!" sale pitches.

Here's a good definition of the different stucco types:
http://www.kenyonweb.com/products/types_of_stucco.html

Outstanding.
I really like the comment: "Prehistoric stucco was performed on dwellings 4,000 years ago ..."

OK, I'll give you that mold "could" grow naturally here, but it would take an extreme circumstance.
Our unit isn't in the line of fire, but many of them are on the right side of a fairway, which means bad golfers smack them regularly. I counted two dozen punch marks on the side of one unit. The red clay tile roofs are beat up too. We would have preferred a unit on the fairway, but in the end, I refuse to wear a hard hat to relax on the patio.
;-{
uncle K wrote:

When our Florida condo was painted in 2001, it had been in awful shape - doubt it was even cleaned prior to last paint job, as it peeled badly and had mildew under the paint. Hubby and I got bids, interviewed contractors. First bid was $27K for prep, two coats "elastomeric paint". We had some real deadbeats in the condo, so $27K would not go. Two story, eight units, four wings, concrete block/stucco.
The contractor who did the work pressure washed, cleaned with bleach and rinse, patched many fine cracks with brushable caulk, primer one coat of semigloss. He did mainly commercial work, no nonsense, and I knew about 30 seconds after we met that I wanted him to do the work. He rec. two coats of paint, we went with one. Acryllic semi. $7K. There is yet to be any peeling or cracking showing. I have an allergy to low bidders, but we could not have done better. Took one week for pressure wash and prep, one week for painting. The crew didn't speak English, but the boss did :o) They did a ton of masking, cleaned up everything. During pressure washing, we devised a system to catch all the paint debris, which was a god-awful mess but it worked.

The type of paint you use depends on where you live. People here in NC use latex, a special blend for stucco. My friend in New Mexico uses stuff that is more like stain, his doesn't peel it just chalks. There is one guy here in town that didn't repair the stucco when some big chunks got damaged during hurricane Hugo. He liked the look of the exposed brick work. The brick always looks wet so I think there is some kind of sealer on it. Anyway I would check with people like Benjamin Moore going directly to the company for advice on paint selection, prep and application. As far as bids goes it looks like someone just arbitrarily pulled some numbers out of a hat, one charges $1K per unit and the other 2K plus 10K more. Did anyone give a serious evaluation of the maintenance that was required? Painters arent the best people to ask about stucco unless you live where they do a lot of it. Ask someone who does stucco work. You may want to consider getting separate contractors for repair and paint. This is not advice just some thoughts to consider.
Jimmie