"Painting" stucco

I have a stucco house in Ohio. The stucco is in excellent condition, so far as integrity goes, but it has been patched in a few places due to some home repairs, so now the color is inconsistent. I would like to coat the stucco with some coloring, but not true paint. My reason for this is that if I paint it now (it has never been painted before) I am going to be locked into painting it every 3-5 years. I know that a fog coat or something similar is the way to go, but don't know what the appropriate DIY product is. Anyone here know?