painting steps, rain, etc.

I'm in Pennsylvania and need to paint my porch steps. The paint store told me I don't need a separate primer, that I should do an undercoat of

1 part mineral spirits and 9 parts paint (oil-based porch paint), then put on a top coat of full-strength paint. The instructions on the can say I need to wait 24 between coats. The weather has been so wacky--we never get two solid days of sun lately. Do I need to wait a whole 24 hours after the primer coat, since it'll be thinner because of the mineral spirits?
Reply to
nosredna

The 24 hours is the drying time, in optimum conditions. You might have to wait several days for it to dry and then a couple more to put the new coat on. Hurrying it will only result in doing it again sooner than later.

Reply to
SQLit

Okay, thanks. In other words, I will need, at minimum, two consecutive dry days, which doesn't look likely, according to the weather forecast. Is it bad to do the undercoat and then the top coat a few days later when the rain lets up again?

Reply to
nosredna

Did the can say 1 part thinner 9 paint ? If you wait you just have to sand as the film gets hard,

Reply to
m Ransley

The can says to use a primer; the paint store personnel said I didn't need to buy a separate can of primer--that I could mix 1 part mineral spirits to 9 parts paint and use that as a primer coat. Is it necessary to add sand to the final coat to prevent slipping on the steps?

Reply to
nosredna

If you dont want to slip add a no slip additive - sand. Its necessary to use sandpaper [sand the paint by hand ] if you wait for the recoat as the can says. Porch and floor paint [ which I hope you have ] dont usualy recommend a different product as primer. Just thinning as you are doing.

Reply to
m Ransley