Painting question

On new drywall & wood trim can i just paint with good quality paint or do i have to Prime first ?

Reply to
desgnr

--

Reply to
dpb

prime first, otherwise some areas will absorb more paint than others look bad

Reply to
hallerb

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@t10g2000yqg.googlegroups.com:

What he said.

My version: otherwise it will look like shit and you will end up painting it over and over to "fix" it, never achieving the same result as if you primed.

Reply to
Red Green

Prime! There are special primers for new drywall, and two coats likely will make the paint job look better. Go to a good paint store, ask about suitable rollers and buy good brushes.

Reply to
norminn

You can prime and paint or you can paint two coats. If it's a little job just do the two coats. If it's a big job you'll actually save money by priming.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

We had a front entry that they did not use primer on the walls first. The paint kept bubbling off. Use primer!

Reply to
Dymphna

no 2 coats...you must prime , I just had a wall and ceiling done, investigated and found prime prime prime.... primer has special ingredients that help finish coats stay on and last. No mater if oil or latex.

Reply to
jimmy

With Behr Ultra Premium Primer and Paint All In one you can...Nice stuff...2 coats and done...Used it (Eggshell) on new drywall in my bathroom reno...Had to try it as a lot of my drywall customers have asked about it...Goes on good and covers real well..Lifetime guarantee....Available at Home Depot....HTH....

Reply to
benick

desgnr

Serious questions:

What's the advantage(s) of "all-in-one" paints?

Is it cheaper in the long run because you have less waste? (e.g. 3 gallons of all-in-one vs. 2 each of primer and paint when you only need 1.5 of each?)

Is it more forgiving of a slightly lighter coat in a given area because it's the exact same paint?

I guess there's less cleanup 'cuz I don't have to clean the brushes/ rollers between coats. (plastic wrap and refrigerators are our friends)

Am I on the right track?

There has to be some disadvantages...what are they?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Serious questions:

What's the advantage(s) of "all-in-one" paints?

Is it cheaper in the long run because you have less waste? (e.g. 3 gallons of all-in-one vs. 2 each of primer and paint when you only need 1.5 of each?)

Is it more forgiving of a slightly lighter coat in a given area because it's the exact same paint?

I guess there's less cleanup 'cuz I don't have to clean the brushes/ rollers between coats. (plastic wrap and refrigerators are our friends)

Am I on the right track?

There has to be some disadvantages...what are they?

It saves one whole step...Typically you need tinted primer for every color you are using which can be wastefull and you still need to put 2 coats of finish on...With the all in one paint you just prep and put 2 coats on it and your done...This is especially helpfull if doing a reno where you have touch ups and patches on painted walls...The only disadvatage I can think of is being flamed by "old schoolers" who can't/won't change and those who suffer with BBDS , (Big Box Derangement Syndrome) as it is sold at Home Depot....LOL...

Reply to
benick

Depends on the results you want. If you don't care, don't prime. If you want it to look nice, prime. And don't forget some Floetrol to keep those nasty brush marks away.

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

Agreed.

You only get one chance to prime it..................

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

Serious questions:

What's the advantage(s) of "all-in-one" paints?

Is it cheaper in the long run because you have less waste? (e.g. 3 gallons of all-in-one vs. 2 each of primer and paint when you only need 1.5 of each?)

Is it more forgiving of a slightly lighter coat in a given area because it's the exact same paint?

I guess there's less cleanup 'cuz I don't have to clean the brushes/ rollers between coats. (plastic wrap and refrigerators are our friends)

Am I on the right track?

There has to be some disadvantages...what are they?

reply:

shitty results?

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Steve B

clipped

I tried Behr paint once and swore off forever. The primer/paint products sound attractive, but I'll wait to see how they perform...staying on surface, cleanability, etc. If I was painting NEW drywall and wood, I would be more inclined to do it the "old" way and not try a new product :o)

Reply to
norminn

-did you use PRIMER before the BEHR paint ?

We've "primed, then painted" (with Behr in our last two homes) and can't say anything bad about BEHR.

Its a good idea to get the primer TINTED if you're going to use a color other than white. Helps second coat coverage.

Reply to
Rudy

The item had been painted. I sanded and then started to paint. Old paint medium green, new coat white semi. After the third coat, the green still showed through. Never had that happen before and I've done a lot of painting.

Reply to
norminn

Use a primer on bare wood, always. There is new drywall primer, it's inexpensive and tint if desired. Do not skip any paint preparation step if you want a professional looking job.

Reply to
Phisherman

Time to develop a new habit. When you buy a product of any kind, read the label, operators manual, and all accompanying literature. Consider it as a sure cure for total ignorance. Then enjoy the respect of your friends as a knowledgeable person. You could even post results of your work on this NG to help other people.

Joe

Reply to
Joe