Painting question

Page 1 of 2

On new drywall & wood trim can i just paint with good quality paint or do i have to Prime first ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
desgnr wrote:

We had a front entry that they did not use primer on the walls first. The paint kept bubbling off. Use primer!
--
Dymphna
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

prime first, otherwise some areas will absorb more paint than others look bad
---

What he said.
My version: otherwise it will look like shit and you will end up painting it over and over to "fix" it, never achieving the same result as if you primed.
---

Agreed.
You only get one chance to prime it..................
Steve
desgnr wrote:

Prime! There are special primers for new drywall, and two coats likely will make the paint job look better. Go to a good paint store, ask about suitable rollers and buy good brushes.

You can prime and paint or you can paint two coats. If it's a little job just do the two coats. If it's a big job you'll actually save money by priming.
no 2 coats...you must prime , I just had a wall and ceiling done, investigated and found prime prime prime.... primer has special ingredients that help finish coats stay on and last. No mater if oil or latex.
---
---
With Behr Ultra Premium Primer and Paint All In one you can...Nice stuff...2 coats and done...Used it (Eggshell) on new drywall in my bathroom reno...Had to try it as a lot of my drywall customers have asked about it...Goes on good and covers real well..Lifetime guarantee....Available at Home Depot....HTH....
Since i am adding a knee wall to an existing wall can i just Prime the new area or do i have to put Primer on the whole wall ?
---

Serious questions:
What's the advantage(s) of "all-in-one" paints?
Is it cheaper in the long run because you have less waste? (e.g. 3 gallons of all-in-one vs. 2 each of primer and paint when you only need 1.5 of each?)
Is it more forgiving of a slightly lighter coat in a given area because it's the exact same paint?
I guess there's less cleanup 'cuz I don't have to clean the brushes/ rollers between coats. (plastic wrap and refrigerators are our friends)
Am I on the right track?
There has to be some disadvantages...what are they?
---

Serious questions:
What's the advantage(s) of "all-in-one" paints?
Is it cheaper in the long run because you have less waste? (e.g. 3 gallons of all-in-one vs. 2 each of primer and paint when you only need 1.5 of each?)
Is it more forgiving of a slightly lighter coat in a given area because it's the exact same paint?
I guess there's less cleanup 'cuz I don't have to clean the brushes/ rollers between coats. (plastic wrap and refrigerators are our friends)
Am I on the right track?
There has to be some disadvantages...what are they?
It saves one whole step...Typically you need tinted primer for every color you are using which can be wastefull and you still need to put 2 coats of finish on...With the all in one paint you just prep and put 2 coats on it and your done...This is especially helpfull if doing a reno where you have touch ups and patches on painted walls...The only disadvatage I can think of is being flamed by "old schoolers" who can't/won't change and those who suffer with BBDS , (Big Box Derangement Syndrome) as it is sold at Home Depot....LOL...
clipped

I tried Behr paint once and swore off forever. The primer/paint products sound attractive, but I'll wait to see how they perform...staying on surface, cleanability, etc. If I was painting NEW drywall and wood, I would be more inclined to do it the "old" way and not try a new product :o)

-did you use PRIMER before the BEHR paint ?
We've "primed, then painted" (with Behr in our last two homes) and can't say anything bad about BEHR.
Its a good idea to get the primer TINTED if you're going to use a color other than white. Helps second coat coverage.
Rudy wrote:

The item had been painted. I sanded and then started to paint. Old paint medium green, new coat white semi. After the third coat, the green still showed through. Never had that happen before and I've done a lot of painting.
---

Serious questions:
What's the advantage(s) of "all-in-one" paints?
Is it cheaper in the long run because you have less waste? (e.g. 3 gallons of all-in-one vs. 2 each of primer and paint when you only need 1.5 of each?)
Is it more forgiving of a slightly lighter coat in a given area because it's the exact same paint?
I guess there's less cleanup 'cuz I don't have to clean the brushes/ rollers between coats. (plastic wrap and refrigerators are our friends)
Am I on the right track?
There has to be some disadvantages...what are they?
reply:
shitty results?
Steve

Depends on the results you want. If you don't care, don't prime. If you want it to look nice, prime. And don't forget some Floetrol to keep those nasty brush marks away.
Steve

Use a primer on bare wood, always. There is new drywall primer, it's inexpensive and tint if desired. Do not skip any paint preparation step if you want a professional looking job.

Time to develop a new habit. When you buy a product of any kind, read the label, operators manual, and all accompanying literature. Consider it as a sure cure for total ignorance. Then enjoy the respect of your friends as a knowledgeable person. You could even post results of your work on this NG to help other people.
Joe