Painting PVC Electrical Conduit: Possible ?

Hi,
Just got some PVC electrical conduit to run up the side of my house to install a flood light. It's that grey colored tubing. 1/2" O.D., and used to run the wires to the light in.
Before I mess everything up, is it practical to paint this stuff ? If so, with what type of paint ?
Need to prime first ? if so, with what ?
Thanks, Bob
Yes, you need to prime first. Duh.

latex primer. Finish coat with exterior latex paint to match your siding. Don't rush between coats.
____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA
snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

You can skip the priming (and possibly even the scuff step if the stuff is clean enough) if you use Krylon "Fusion" paint. Specifically designed for painting plastics.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

I've seen many commercials for krylon's fusion paint. Check it out. BTW, you might need to scuff the pvc first to both clean off grease/dirt, and give the paint something extra to bite into. Always read/follow directions for best results. ;)
hth,
tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

I would wipe it down with lacquer thinner (it will knock off the gloss and etch the surface of the pipe about the same as PVC primer) and use an appropriate color of spray paint. I have used this successfully and has lasted years.

Robert11 writes:

I've used latex house paint successfully.
Auto parts stores sell spray cans of vinyl color.
Yeah, you want to knock down the gloss.... lacquer, sandpaper, steel wool, whatever.
Best to prime it too, and use the house paint. I'm guessing you don't want to hassle try to find a spraypaint that matches.
If you use pvc cleaner (primer), it will knock the gloss off. A lot easier than steel wool. PVC cleaner is the stuff you are SUPPOSED to apply before you glue it. Get the clear stuff, not the purple stuff, if you are going to paint over it.
Stretch
Oh yeah, I agree. PVC cleaner would work great, and with less effort. Some people, though, may not want to mess with such chemicals in that kind of situation.
Go to Walmart and buy some gray spray paint for about a buck, and paint it with that.

Krylon makes a paint just for that sort of thing. Get one as close to your house color as yuo can. Good stuff.
Pop