Painting PVC Electrical Conduit: Possible ?

Hi,

Just got some PVC electrical conduit to run up the side of my house to install a flood light. It's that grey colored tubing. 1/2" O.D., and used to run the wires to the light in.

Before I mess everything up, is it practical to paint this stuff ? If so, with what type of paint ?

Need to prime first ? if so, with what ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

Yes, you need to prime first. Duh.

Reply to
scott_z500

Scuff the PVC first with 0 or 00 steel wool. Prime with a good quality exterior latex primer. Finish coat with exterior latex paint to match your siding. Don't rush between coats.

____________________ Bill Waller New Eagle, PA

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
Bill Waller

According to Bill Waller :

You can skip the priming (and possibly even the scuff step if the stuff is clean enough) if you use Krylon "Fusion" paint. Specifically designed for painting plastics.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I've seen many commercials for krylon's fusion paint. Check it out. BTW, you might need to scuff the pvc first to both clean off grease/dirt, and give the paint something extra to bite into. Always read/follow directions for best results. ;)

hth,

tom @

The Real Tom

I would wipe it down with lacquer thinner (it will knock off the gloss and etch the surface of the pipe about the same as PVC primer) and use an appropriate color of spray paint. I have used this successfully and has lasted years.

DanG

I've used latex house paint successfully.

Auto parts stores sell spray cans of vinyl color.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Yeah, you want to knock down the gloss.... lacquer, sandpaper, steel wool, whatever.

Best to prime it too, and use the house paint. I'm guessing you don't want to hassle try to find a spraypaint that matches.

Reply to
Hopkins

If you use pvc cleaner (primer), it will knock the gloss off. A lot easier than steel wool. PVC cleaner is the stuff you are SUPPOSED to apply before you glue it. Get the clear stuff, not the purple stuff, if you are going to paint over it.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

Go to Walmart and buy some gray spray paint for about a buck, and paint it with that.

Reply to
attentionwalmartcustomers

Krylon makes a paint just for that sort of thing. Get one as close to your house color as yuo can. Good stuff.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

Oh yeah, I agree. PVC cleaner would work great, and with less effort. Some people, though, may not want to mess with such chemicals in that kind of situation.

Reply to
Hopkins

I think most people wouldn't want to spray paint the sides of their homes at the same time.

Reply to
anthony11