Painting Problem

This is sort of long...sorry.

House was built in 1983, we bought in 1992. The interior was painted a pinkish beige so we painted white semi-gloss. First thing we painted were the door frames on two doors. Next day I noticed that it wasn't even and started to sand it lightly...paint came off in sheets. Figured, original paint must be oil base. Cleaned off all white paint and started over using white Kiltz. I then painted all the woodwork with white semi-gloss. About four years later, we repainted, same colors. Recently, we had new carpet put down and some of the trim paint was scratched. It went all the way to the original pink beige. When I tried to sand it lightly to try and "spot" paint it, the paint started peeling off like it did in the beginning. In some places I was able to daub paint in the "holes" - and not do over entire door.

My neighbor next door recently painted his house for first time - his house is newer (the original owner of my house wanted a larger house and had the house next door built - his son took this one. It is reasonable to assume they painted both houses using same kind of paint). Neighbor had same problem. Man at the paint store said problem probably caused by moisture. Neighbor painted back in March - no moisture here then. I'm in FL and it's been an unusualy dry winter and spring, very low humidity.

Anyone got any ideas about what caused this and how I can fix it once and for all. Hate to strip all the paint off with new carpet - but it chips off far too easily now. Thanks. Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

You should have cleaned and sanded it first and painted it in oil. No easy solution except touch it up and be careful or strip or replace the wood.

Reply to
m Ransley

clipped

I hate latex paint for trim and doors for the reasons you describe. It is "rubbery" and defects difficult to sand when ready to repaint. You may be better off by touching up until you are ready to change the carpet. Or replace the trim in question. The original finish was likely not prepped correctly - clean, degreased, primed.

Reply to
NorMinn