Painting pressure treated lumber

Might a stain make a good primer for paint?

Reply to
Existential Angst

Very inneresting, informative. I feel like a quiz is coming.... :)

Reply to
Existential Angst

Appreciate all the varied responses -- a surprising lack of consensus!! But all good perspective on the problem.

If I can ascertain if stain might make a good primer for paint, I'll try that. Altho, perhaps a good way to go would be to just find a suitable stain, spray that on, see how it holds up, and then try painting in a year or two if the stain fades, doesn't hold up, etc..

Someone mentioned painting at 50+ F. Does that apply to stain, as well?? If so, I'll have to sort of trade off drying time with temp, as fall is already here.

alt.home.repair was trimmed from this piece of the thread, but since it was the only ref, I though the ahr people could benefit from it.

==============

Good to know but I noticed that most suggested coverings that you mentioned above are not opaque, as paint is. So I would surmise that paint would not be a good coating for new PT wood. ====================

I thought the ".... coated as soon as possible...." was interesting.

So basically I'm going to just give this a shot. My cobbled-up paint sprayer will make this a whole lot easier, that is f'sure.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I put rec.woodworking back in the header, figgered a few would find this useful.

Reply to
Existential Angst

I'd use a solid stain. Durable and less likely to peel. I used in on my deck with good results on the railings and balusters. On the flat portion of the decking, it does not hold up so well with foot traffic.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I put up stockade type fencing made of PT 3 years ago:

One part is 2 years older than that.

There is nothing on the wood and it still looks as good as when I built it. I wouldn't dream of painting it, that would be a huge mistake.

Reply to
Dan Espen

For some time, I understand, they've been making railroad cross-ties out of concrete.

Evidently some believe that concrete will last longer than creosote-impregnated wood...

Reply to
HeyBub

Geez, I replaced my fascia and soffits with PT lumber in 2000. Primed and painted it, and the paint still holds tight and lookin' good.

What did I do wrong?

Reply to
Hell Toupee

And that is where I use PT painted. I think others are referring to a surface that is walked on, a deck or porch.

Reply to
Leon

Not even walked on. My balusters and rails would peel every couple of years, too. It's places that get and stay wet for periods of time. Fascia and soffits, particularly, don't tend to stay wet.

Reply to
krw

He was replying to someone who said "PT chemicals prevent paint adhesion," which isn't true.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have no direct information there but I've never had problems with paint sticking to the trim on the house. Same paint. Same prep. The trim wasn't PT, though.

Reply to
krw