Painting pressure treated lumber

Yeah, but my deck is 8' off the ground and getting the wheelbarrow of concrete up the steps is a bitch.
The framing is PT and is in perfect condition after 25 years. I have a concrete patio under the deck too. The 4 x 4 deck supports are in metal brackets on the concrete.

The concrete sits on the ground ? Mine must be 3 feet deep for freezing.
Greg

The deck was built first and yes, there were 4' deep Sonotubes for the supports. I've since added a 4" slab over top and put the supports back where they were, just adjusted to fit. Been that way for the past 10 years now.
"bob haller" wrote:
buy from a major long term manufacturer...........
honestly i DONT LIKE WOOD for long term outdoor use.....
concrete doesnt cost that much more and lasts far longer....... ----------------------------------------------- HDPE anybody?
Lew
Mike Marlow wrote:

For some time, I understand, they've been making railroad cross-ties out of concrete.
Evidently some believe that concrete will last longer than creosote-impregnated wood...
On 9/29/2012 4:34 PM, bob haller wrote:

Geez, I replaced my fascia and soffits with PT lumber in 2000. Primed and painted it, and the paint still holds tight and lookin' good.
What did I do wrong?
On 10/2/2012 9:25 AM, Hell Toupee wrote:

And that is where I use PT painted. I think others are referring to a surface that is walked on, a deck or porch.

Not even walked on. My balusters and rails would peel every couple of years, too. It's places that get and stay wet for periods of time. Fascia and soffits, particularly, don't tend to stay wet.
On 10/2/12 11:56 AM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

He was replying to someone who said "PT chemicals prevent paint adhesion," which isn't true.
--

-MIKE-

I have no direct information there but I've never had problems with paint sticking to the trim on the house. Same paint. Same prep. The trim wasn't PT, though.

Might a stain make a good primer for paint?
--
EA

> --

Appreciate all the varied responses -- a surprising lack of consensus!! But all good perspective on the problem.
If I can ascertain if stain might make a good primer for paint, I'll try that. Altho, perhaps a good way to go would be to just find a suitable stain, spray that on, see how it holds up, and then try painting in a year or two if the stain fades, doesn't hold up, etc..
Someone mentioned painting at 50+ F. Does that apply to stain, as well?? If so, I'll have to sort of trade off drying time with temp, as fall is already here.
alt.home.repair was trimmed from this piece of the thread, but since it was the only ref, I though the ahr people could benefit from it.
=============> "Contrary to the belief of many consumer's and paint companies, it is

Good to know but I noticed that most suggested coverings that you mentioned above are not opaque, as paint is. So I would surmise that paint would not be a good coating for new PT wood. =================== I thought the ".... coated as soon as possible...." was interesting.
So basically I'm going to just give this a shot. My cobbled-up paint sprayer will make this a whole lot easier, that is f'sure.
--
EA