Painting Over Wallpaper

Page 2 of 2
Isn't it funny how there's never enough time and money to do it right the first time, but there's always enough time and money to do it over again?
Seems to me that you're going to end up with two choices: 1) Strip the wallpaper now and re-mud and do it right in the first place and just be done with it, or 2) Paint over the wallpaper and end up with a peeling, screwed-up paint job that will require you to very soon strip the paper and re-mud anyway, and then have the additional pleasure of spending a ton of money on several gallons of the same paint you just wasted.
It's not rocket science, really.
AJS
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patscga) wrote:

AJScott wrote:

Funny how that works. $500 in half-way decent paint, lousy looking paint job. Wallpaper, with any kind of pattern, will probably now show defects as much as a uniform, light color paint.

Top secret. Don't tell. It can be done, if you know how :o) I've never seen painted wallpaper that didn't look like crap. It makes me itch :o)

$500 for paint? isn't that how much you paid for your bedroom set? talk about cheap????????????????????????
it cost me over $500 for my mattress with no box spring.
clipped

That was a lot of money in 1964 :o) I was making $2.19/hour and hubby in school :o)

$100 for the sofa. The last $49 for mattress and box spring. Young and in love. No brains.

Group: alt.home.repair Date: Sun, Dec 14, 2003, 10:03pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patscga) I asked about this before and everybody said don't do it. I've had four painters come here, plus a wallpaper person, and they all said you can't remove wallpaper that was installed 30 years ago without tearing up the wallboard because they didn't do wall prep back in those days. Then I recalled that I did have someone try this many years ago in another room and he ruined the walls so that I had to have them re-mudded. Now I would like to hear from someone who has painted over wallpaper successfully, if there is someone like that. Pat _________________________________ You either haven't got the right painter or you need to call in a paper hanger to remove it. I usually use a tool called a paper tiger which up scores the paper, then using a garden sprayer with very hot and lightly soapy water, mist the paper down until it will freely peel off. Tip: if it doesn't freely peel off yo haven't got it wet enough. Cloth drops covered by several layers of newspaper will keep water off the floor and using the newspaper you will be able to roll the old paper that has been scraped off into a log and dispose of it easily. After glue is washed off walls I HIGHLY recommend and oil-based primer. Then you may touch up imperfections with spackle and sand smooth then paint. One final note, if you paint over this paper someday someone (probably you) will have to remove it and it will be near impossible without tearing out the wallboard. Good luck. Al