Painting over putty

Hello,
I recently painted a wall. After I was done, the wife decided that she wanted to move a shelf. I removed the two wall anchors and patched the whole with dry wall putty. I sanded the putty to be flush with the wall and used the left over paint to paint over the putty. I tried to feather the edges of the paint to blend in with the existing coat of paint.
Now, when I look at the wall at an angle, I can see what looks like a dark ring around where I painted. The centre looks fine and I cannot see the discolouration when I look at the wall dead on. Unfortunately, when you first walk up to the wall, you are at an angle.
What did I do wrong (other than not patching the wall first before having painting it)? What can I do to fix it? Do I need apply a coat of paint to the whole wall?
Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!
--
Chris

What is "dry wall putty"? Water putty? Spackle? Joint compound?
Your mistake was not priming first. BIN makes primer in a spray can that dries in 15-20 minutes. You might be able to get away with just painting it with another coat (on just the spots). Worth a shot before buying something else.
JK
Big_Jake wrote:

Sorry, I used the wrong terminology. I used "LePage Polyfix Smooth Surface-Filler".
I painted another coat over the patched areas and then some. When I originally painted the walls, I used a roller. To paint over the patched areas, I used a brush. Having looked at the spots again, I'm wondering if what I'm seeing is the difference in painting tool? I'd say that the patched areas look shinier than the rest of the wall.
I do have a small can of primer. Perhaps I should prime over the patched regions now, then apply the two coats of paint?
--
Chris

I wonder if the difference isn't so much color as reflectivity due to the texture difference. Armed with this information, if this were my house, I'd think about it for a week and come up with an intuitive solution. Sorry I can't be more help at the moment. I'm exhausted.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I should have also mentioned that the paint I'm using is:
SICO Chamois Soft Gloss - White Moss
--
Chris

Use a very bright light to inspect the texture of another part of the wall. Use a coarser sandpaper to match that texture, even if it means carving away the putty from the problem area and starting over.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I think what I'm seeing is the difference in the surface of the paint between the part the was done with a brush and the rest of the wall (done with a roller). The surface difference is larger than the actual patched whole, it appears to be the entire area that I had painted.
I think I will try using a roller with not much paint on it and go over the area again. Perhaps that will make the surface less smooth and therefore less shiny? From what I'm seeing, the brush leaves a smoother finish where as the roller leaves a more textured finish.
--
Chris

Stores sell very narrow rollers - that's a tool which might be helpful in a situation like this.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I've repainted the area using the same brand of roller I originally used on the wall. From what I can see, it worked! What I have learned from this experience is, if I need to patch a hole _after_ I have painted, I need to use a roller to paint over the area rather than a brush.
Thank you all for your help and advice!
--
Chris

Try painting everything you did with the brush, using only the end of the brush, lightly coated with paint, with a straight in touching motion. "touch, touch,touch" etc. This will give it a more uneven texture like the roller does.
Bob