Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet

We've got a screened porch (they call them Arizona Rooms here in Arizona), and the floor is covered with that green "astroturf like" indoor-outdoor carpet. My wife understands that it is possible to paint over it using several coats of primer followed by a floor paint, to wind up with a different color and relatively smooth surface.
Has anyone had any experience with doing this?
Thanks in advance for any information.
Northe Green Valley, AZ
Add pictures here
✖

You are joking right?
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 29, 3:12 pm, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

They did it on "Trading Spaces" one time, so it is possible.
Add pictures here
✖
Ron wrote:

You are joking, right?
I've watched that show a couple times, back when it first started. The 'remodeling' they do is right up there with building sets for a high school play. Don't have a cite, but I've seen articles that the redone spaces generally fall apart quickly. I wouldn't take anything you see on there as gospel. Sure, you can paint it, but it will quickly look like crap as the paint flakes off. Remmants are cheap- go find a color you like. If the old stuff is glued down (a common sin) just scrape it off as best you can, and lay the new over it.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

It's possible to put it on TV and make it look good for the moment.
Reminds me of an old "$19.95+s&h, order before midnight tonight" commercial for thinning hair. Sprayed the guys head with some black stuff and combed. Suddenly it looks like he has a full head of hair. Looks good on TV where no detail can be seen and the test of time is zero.
In reality I heard that it actually just colored the scalp to look good from an airplane. Up close it looked like the dude had a black helmet on...an ugly black helmet...a cheap ugly black helmet.
Add pictures here
✖
How about just ripping it out and putting in indoor outdoor sisal carpet of your choice of color? Cats love it. It's one big scratching post.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 12:12:57 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Never underestimate the power of a Cone Head family. (consume mass quantities of (paint)).
In FL they're called Florida rooms. In the penitentiary they're called rubber rooms.
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/29/2008 11:55 AM Northe spake thus:

To be honest, no, I've had no experience with this, but it sounds pretty crazy to me. Suggestion: if you really want to find out, get yourself a scrap of carpet and try painting it to see what happens. My guess is you won't be pleased with the result.
✖

Understands from where? Hobo village?
Add pictures here
✖
Northe wrote:

Dumb idea. You don't paint carpet, you dye it. Your wife doesn't want to paint your old clothes, does she?
Add pictures here
✖

http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/tradingspaces/project/project_06.html
Add pictures here
✖
Ron wrote:

fiber carpet. Astroturf is a whole nother idea - horrible, just to think about. I can't imagine why anyone would want to try, unless striving for a particularly unusual color. Indoor/outdoor carpet is pretty inexpensive, probably cheaper than the primer and paint.
Add pictures here
✖
Ron,

Thanks for that reference. I believe that my wife is convinced that painting is not the right approach.
Northe
Add pictures here
✖
"Northe" wrote

And forgive me. I didnt reply because i thought you were a troll. No one could really paint such a thing could they?
Add pictures here
✖