Painting over Brick Efflorescence

In my basement the brick below the ground line suffers fairly severe efflorescence. Short of parging the outside, or panelling the inside, what is the best treatment? I have tried the special paints which are supposed to stop the efflorescence - they don't.
If I just want to paint, is latex the way to go? I suspect it will allow more breathing, and will last longer.
Thanks,
Ian
in message

Efflourescence results from water seeping through the brick from the outside, and mortar salts dissolving, then preciptating on the drier surface due to evaporation.. No paint will fully resist it, nor cover it for long. Therefore, you should find a solution to the seepage from outside, before contemplating painting it. Latex paint would work fine, once the moisture is reduced, and the efflorescence is wire-brushed off.