Painting on bathroom tile?

My wife painted the bathroom sort of a carmel color, and the pink inlay (about 1 inch high) on the white bathroom tile, which runs on three walls, just doesn't match!

Can I paint this gloss white with any sort of success? Which paint should I use?

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve K

Google it, my friend, google it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

So I guess this could be the answer for any question posted on this newsgroup? Then why have the newsgroup?

Reply to
Steve K

No, that is not the answer to any question, although Google is a good place to start for answers to many of the questions posted here.

In this case, I Googled "painting tile" and got lots of hits that addressed the very question you asked: what kind of paint to use. Most sites also included the types of tile you can paint, the proper way to clean the tile, the types of locations where you might not want to consider painting (inside a shower, for example) and lots of other details regarding your project.

Obviously, it's up to you to choose where you gather your information from. I simply offered a possible source for an answer to your question after first checking to see that it existed.

Sorry to have troubled you.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My apologies, I jumped the gun thinking you were the newsgroup police. I didn't think you may actually be trying to help, instead of quickly brushing me off. Thanks. My job does not let me spend that much time searching the web so I thought a centralized answer would help me the quickest.

Reply to
Steve K

No problem...and no offense taken.

Good luck with your project.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Use a good oil not latex, one that flows out smooth is Benjamin Moore Satin Impervo, use Penetrol as a thinner, clean it real well first.

Reply to
ransley

Google it, my friend, google it.

Yes. We are much too important and busy here to answer questions.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Cutting to the crux of the matter: epoxy paints are said to have the best adhesion of all to common ceramics. Not easy to find them. Pro paint stores might be sources, try the ones in your area. Substrate cleanliness is vital. Acetone is a widely used solvent for surface cleaning in epoxy work. Use it with the usual sensible precautions (fumes, etc. can travel). Follow directions. Use a very high quality brush. Mask as necessary. There now, you should be good to go.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Regarding masking...

It might be tough to mask the grout lines and prevent bleeding. What looks like a nice clean line between the grout and the tile might indeed be rather uneven once you take brush in hand. Just something to consider and be prepared to deal with.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

No, not really. To some, what you ask is like reinventing wheel- maybe it's been (mostly) done. To find out, DAGS. Takes less time than posting question and waiting for response.

And ... please consider the possibility that others value their time too. Basic netiquette.

John

Reply to
John Barry

It is easier/better to select another color to match the tile and inlay.

Reply to
Phisherman

absolutely long term painting tile doesnt work well and will be a big issue at home resale time.

repaint room again, or plan on new tile. either now or when the paint begins peeling.

had friend do this with epoxy paint, 2 years later it looked bad, and they had their bathroom gutted

Reply to
hallerb

I can certainly understand this reasoning, but it overlooks the real possibility that the people with the best answers might not be reading your post at a time when you'd need their answers, so using Google to search past postings in this group on this subject is a great way to quickly find out what others have said and done. I do that first before posting any of my questions, and I've gotten lots of information that way, more probably than if I just waited for responses to my particular question.

Reply to
KLS