Painting old silver plate

We have some old silverplated decorative birds on which the silver plate is just shot. Not worth attempting to replate. However, we could see painting them for occasional use. My thought is to simply rough up the finish a bit and then spray paint them the desired color. But, I thought I would ask if there is a better approach to painting them, perhaps some particular undercoat, specific paint? TIA starrin
I was going to suggest removing the silver plate, but as I read about it there are toxic noxious chemicals involved. I don't think I would sand the existing as it would expose new silver surfaces that would need to oxidize again which would probably ruin your paint idea. I think I would wash the objects in lacquer thinner to remove any and all oils, etc. Use a can of Benjamin Moore spray primer, it seems to bite better than some others. After it is fully cured, rub the object hard with a soft rag to see if the primer is well adhered. If it is, have at with whatever paint.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG wrote:

If the thing has any value at all as a collector's item or antique, any of these actions will ensure it does no longer.
If it's just a trinket, then would really matter what one does.

get a local antique store to bid of value before you do this, and tell them you want to paint them. For all you know they are worth 10,000.00 If smooth metal clean with Laquer Thinner and use 400+g

Glass bead blasting would be a very good surface preparation for most any kind of primer/paint combination. Auto machine shops commonly have such equipment if you can't find a friend that has a blast box. Car restoration hobbyists almost always have the tools or know someone who does. Good luck.
Joe

Glass bead, I know you never saw thin metal antiqiues worth Tens of thousands, blasting is out of the queston