Painting old "lamintate" ? kitchen counters

I think they are called laminate counters. Anyway these ones are 15 years old and look 50. They are scratched and their appearance do nothing for the kitchen.

I'm planning on redoing the kitchen anyway, but don't want to spend the money on new counters. I've heard that you can buy paint for the counters, but that the paint will wear away eventually. If I could paint them then I could blend them much better with the rest of the kitchen.

I don't mind touching them up once a year.

Has anyone tried this?

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

Sherwin-Williams sells a paint known as Polane, I think it's short for polyureathane, not sure. They also sell a hardening agent that will add even more duralbity. I don't think I would consider it considering how cheap laminate is, but to each his own

Reply to
call_me_al

Yea, in about two weeks. Paint is no good and it is difficult to get good solid paint job on that stuff anyway.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

im with "al" here...i install kitchen cabinets and tops all the time...laminated (postform) tops are cheap...the cost of "specialty" paint, and the time and frustration to paint them would be way more than the cost of new tops...

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Here's a question, since we're on the topic. Is it possible or advisable to put new laminate over old?

Reply to
mark

yes it is *possible*...but depends on the style of the top....a postform top (inegrated, curved rear splash and bullnose(curved) front edge) would require "verticle" laminate, which is very thin and not designed for countertop use...(because it needs to be thin to make the tight bends)....a "self edge" or "square edge" top can be relaminated much easier...the old laminate must be scored so the contact adhesive has something to "bite" to....BUT with all the work involved it is most times cheaper/easier to remove the old tops(not really a chore at all) and take them to a real topshop(forget lowes and HD, because they usually order from the real top shops in the area) and it can be used for a template...just my two cents

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Sure, it is done all the time. This assumes of course that the current surface is well attached to the substrate.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Been looking into this a bit, myself:

Q: What do you think about installing new laminate over existing laminate? It seems like a heck of a lot less work than starting from scratch!

A: Yes, this can be done, though some inherent problems may make this type of project undesirable.

You should first be sure that you are satisfied with the general condition of the countertop. Go up to prior question concerning ceramic tile over laminate for a few pointers about accessing the condition of the countertop. One addition to that list (unnecessary for the ceramic tile installation) would be that the old laminate be virtually flawless, with no serious breaks, cracks, or gouges. These may show through the new laminate.

You should rough up the old countertop with a medium sandpaper by hand to improve the bond of the contact cement. If you use a machine, such as an orbital sander or a belt sander, you may gouge or pit the old laminate and blow the job!

There are instructions here:

-- Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

Where would you look in the yellow pages for a "topshop"?

Reply to
RVanhoo

under "counter tops"