painting new sheetrocked bathroom- problem.. removed blue tape and now paint came off

Hi I am painting a new bathroom that has been sheetrocked. Primed it, and just finished the second count of paint.. I taped the borders with a blue tape,, just removed the blue tape but the tape removed the paper from the sheet rock! about 3 inches... if i just try to sand it it will make it worse.. what is the best way to fix this area. remember the whole area was just painted..should i cover with wall compound?? and sand?

Reply to
KOS

Is that the expensive Scotch stuff?

I'd let it dry for a while before retouching it just the way you suggest.

Don't you just hate it when something that's supposed to help a project hurts it instead?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

@KOS:

Something sounds fishy about this...

How old is the sheetrock in this bathroom ?

Did you apply the painter's blue tape directly to the paper surface of the sheetrock ?

How much paint did you get on the tape ?

It sounds to me like part of the problem here was not knowing how to use the tape properly... You shouldn't be leaving the tape in place for multiple coats of paint because the paint will bond to the tape and you will have to use a razor blade to cut an edge between the wall and the tape when you attempt to remove it... Painter's tape needs to be removed when the current coat of paint is just dry to the touch and additional tape would have to be applied for any additional coating of paint you wish to apply...

It might be better for you to learn how to properly cut in with a brush... If you are having trouble painting around trim, then you can paint slightly onto the trim to create a seal between the wall and the trim and then go back over the trim with trim paint using a smaller brush and a putty knife placed at the joint between the wall and the trim to prevent getting trim paint onto the wall...

That is how the pros-in-training do it before they become one with the brush and can use the brush as an extension of their hands to flow paint wherever they will it to go...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan

If the tape is all off, just find another project for a few weeks to let the paint cure hard. That should minimize damage while you gently tackle the repair work. Fill in the damaged area with a setting type compound (recommended for bathrooms, BTW) and quickly skim it off as level as possible, lightly sand and repaint as needed. Next time use a tape that is less aggressive, like the recent offerings from 3M.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

apply mud/sheetrock compound and sand. Allow lots of time betwen coatings or use a fan to help it dry. We're talking days not hours to let stuff really set up. It sounds like you may have done the masking too soon after the paint was applied, and the moisure still had not completely fired no only from the paint but also from the sublayers of the paper onthe sheetrock.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I never had to wait more than an hour to start sanding mud. No fans either. As for as paint taping, get the cheapest 1/2" masking tape you can find. That blue tape is just to make you feel like a "pro" and get your money. Just lightly stick the edge of the tape on your line. Don't even press the rest down. Pull the tape as soon as you're done painting so it doesn't glue itself hard.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith