painting interior

Page 1 of 2

i'm repainting a few rooms in my house... one thing i haven't been able to do is to paint a total straight line along edges etc. i put down tape, but i noticed even with masking tape, sometimes the paint finds it's way under it. is there some kind of special brush i should be using for fine lines?
i have two walls that meet and both walls will be different colors. to be able to make the colors match up in a straight line is gonna be a bugger!
Use the blue painter's tape, and press it down REALLY hard.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>i'm repainting a few rooms in my house... one thing i haven't been able to do is to paint a total straight line along edges etc. i put down tape, but i noticed even with masking tape, sometimes the paint finds it's way under it. is there some kind of special brush i should be using for fine lines? </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>i have two walls that meet and both walls will be different colors. to be able to make the colors match up in a straight line is gonna be a bugger!</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
Use the blue painter's tape, and press it down REALLY hard. you know, i went to buy that tape, and the girl at Kelly Moore talked me out of it, she said the regular masking tape is better.. hmmm
I never used to buy it because it was more expensive. But, my ex bought a couple of rolls and the stuff does seem to release more easily when you're ready to remove it. If I have it, I use it. If I don't I just make sure I have some 3M masking tape - the store brand or generic stuff is too unpredictable.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV><FONT face=Courier size=2>Use the blue painter's tape, and press it down REALLY hard.</FONT></DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE dir=ltr style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT face=Arial size=2>you know, i went to buy that tape, and the girl at Kelly Moore talked me out of it, she said the regular masking tape is better.. hmmm</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
I always do this kind of thing with a 2 inch trim brush, just painting carefully on the final coat. Where two walls meet, you have an inside corner (use the brush) or an outside corner (brush is still probably a good idea). --Phil
WHoME? wrote:

Don't know about your experience, but it makes no sense to use a cheap brush, either. You know the kind that always have a few bristles sticking out far enough to mess up the adjacent work?
Youngstown State University

For good lines you want a good sized brush (2.5" wide at least), and it should cost $12-15. And like I said, forget the masking tape. It's a junky way to paint.

sticking
junky
I used to think that price for a brush was absurd until I bought my house and started patronizing the REAL hardware store nearby. I wish I could describe the face the owner would make when a customer was about to do something VERY wrong, like buy a $2 brush while saying he wanted to get a perfect glossy finish on some molding or a bannister. He accompanied "the look" by a weird sort of evil laugh. The result: I have a nice collection of great brushes that have lasted 20 years so far. They're as enjoyable to use as the Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver someone convinced me to buy, also 20 years ago.

of
use
i find its good to have primer only brushes as well. i sometimes paint with primer brushes, but i never let my best paint brushes touch primer.
randy
Forget masking tape. Pros don't use them. For good lines you need a big brush. Then turn that brush sideways so you're painting with the skinny side along the line. It's easy to show, not so easy to explain.
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>i'm repainting a few rooms in my house... one thing i haven't been able to do is to paint a total straight line along edges etc. i put down tape, but i noticed even with masking tape, sometimes the paint finds it's way under it. is there some kind of special brush i should be using for fine lines? </FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>i have two walls that meet and both walls will be different colors. to be able to make the colors match up in a straight line is gonna be a bugger!</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
im assuming this is an inside corner. put down the tape on one wall about 1/16 from the actual corner, then run latex caulk along the corner and smooth with your finger. let that sit for about 15 minutes then pull the tape, and leave it alone!! let the caulk dry for a few hours (overnight). paint the wall you didnt tape and overlap to the other wall with the paint (make this wall the easier to cover color) then paint the other wall by hand with a small brush (not like a model brush, just a 1/4" brush) to the caulk edge. the 'lip' formed by the caulk will help keep the brush from straying over the line. if any goes over, wipe with a wet rag and do it again.
for outside corners and flat walls with color changes, its not so much about being straight, as looking straight. if its perfectly straight it often doesnt look right. just do your best, look at it, and touch up where it looks wrong. keeping in mind that nobody is gonna just sit and stare at it..
randy
i'm repainting a few rooms in my house... one thing i haven't been able to do is to paint a total straight line along edges etc. i put down tape, but i noticed even with masking tape, sometimes the paint finds it's way under it. is there some kind of special brush i should be using for fine lines?
i have two walls that meet and both walls will be different colors. to be able to make the colors match up in a straight line is gonna be a bugger!

I saw a trick on trading spaces. paint the first wall a little over with the color you are going to mask Mask, and paint over the making tape edge with the same color. now paint the final color and removing masking tape
So if you have: UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
base coat BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUU BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUU BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
tape **************** BBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTBBUUUUUUUUUUUUU BBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTBBUUUUUUUUUUUUU BBBBBBBBBBTTTTTTBBUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Paint tape edge BBBBBBBBBBTTTTBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUU BBBBBBBBBBTTTTBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUU BBBBBBBBBBTTTTBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
paint tape edge and rest of wall BBBBBBBBBBTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BBBBBBBBBBTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BBBBBBBBBBTTTRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
score and Remove tape BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
B = blue, U = unpainted, R = red, T=tape
The first time you paint the tape edge it seaps under and forms a seal.
See, watching trading spaces *does* have an advantage.
good luck
--
be safe.
flip

it.
this method does work, but you have to work fast. if you let the paint dry too much before you pull the tape, it will likely give a ragged edge when you try to tear through two layers of dried paint (of course you need to let the first base coat dry completely...) you want to paint the tape the first color, let it dry for only about an hour, then do the second color being careful not to start stirring up the first color, wait another 5-10 minutes for the second coat to set, then rip the tape.
randy

That's why you score it (utility or razer blade) first. ;)
writes:

whenever i get a blade out to do something like this, i usually end up scoring my finger <g>
randy
writes:

SCORE!

it.
This is good for lines on flat walls. The reason it works should be a clue to those who use masking tape! It DEPENDS on paint to get in under the tape, to make a seal. Using the correct color paint and accepting that it will get under the tape is the trick that makes it look like you meant for it to happen.

Well that's quite an operation. It might work, but after you spent all the time getting it right, you'd be better off simply learning how to paint.

Outside corners paint themselves straight. Simply brush from the wall outward over the corner, and you will get a perfect line every time. You'd have to go out of your way to goof it up if you brush in that direction.
I got a cool edge painter at Lowes for a few dollars. I was skeptical, but it did a great job and it's fast. It's a square pad with two roller wheels. I got great results from it.
mort
wrote:

paint a total straight line along edges etc. i put down tape, but i noticed even with masking tape, sometimes the paint finds it's way under it. is there some kind of special brush i should be using for fine lines?

It might work when painting over the same color, but otherwise I think they're junk.