Painting House Trim

I will need to paint the house trim this year and since we just bought this house I'm not sure what type oil or latex was used. Is there anyway to tell? I can't ask the previous owner. I can never remember which can't go over which. Thanks in advance. You all are so helpful!
get off yor lazy ass, look it up, and educate yourself, or get a paint chip and put it on some crackers
On 10 Jan 2005 17:35:26 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

What a rude response. Time to set another Usenet filter.
PLONK

those that understand binary, and
I'd like to know also.
I will need to paint the house trim this year and since we just bought this house I'm not sure what type oil or latex was used. Is there anyway to tell? I can't ask the previous owner. I can never remember which can't go over which. Thanks in advance. You all are so helpful!
Hi gal. If the current trim paint is oil and old a latex will not stick to it. One way to check which is which is to get a chip off the trim and bend it. Oil based (if old) will easily crack/break. A good latex will have some flexibility/extensibility. ICI-Glidden has a product called "The Gripper." This sticks to many things but you should ask the guys in the store if The Gripper will adhere to old oil/alkyd. Gripper only comes in white so you may need three coats; Gripper, color primer and color topcoat. The biggest job is surface preparation before you paint. Again, ask the guys at the store. Always use the best quality paints for outside paint jobs. In general you get what you pay for.
BTW, terafferty is wrong and bad mannered. When you talk to the NGs you ARE looking it up, it's the quickest way to go.
Best of luck.
Peter.

Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate the help. I'll admit....I do ask a LOT of questions though. I'll try to show some self-restraint. Its just so nice to have such a wealth of info from people who know the answers. The answers may seem simple to you and obvious but to new "do it yourselfers" your knowledge is invaluable! I hope you all know how much it is appreciated.
Put some alcohol on a rag and rub the paint. Latex will come of, oil base won't. Ron

Check out this link about painting - I think it will answer many of your questions.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/knowhow/exteriors/article/0%2C16417%2C212675%2C00.html