Painting House

Location is Miami Florida. I am going to repaint my house. Single story CBS (Concrete Block Stucco) with a concrete tile roof.

I need advise on the material to use.

(1) The concrete tile roof was partially damaged during hurricane Wilma, the roofing company came out and repaired with some new tiles - same size same model but different color, since that was all they had in stock I was not in a position to be picky (roofing contractors are hard to find and book in our areas). So anyways I have now a roof with

80% old tiles, a little faded gray color and 20% new bright white tiles. Any advise what I can do paint wise? Can I paint concrete roof tiles? Someone suggested a Elastomeric paint? If I do paint the roof should I prime with something first? Any suggestions of brand of elastomeric paint or prime? I have heard of some paint consists of mildew resistant chemicals, or with reflective properties to keep house cooler? I am a bit confused as to the best choices in my situation.

(2) As for the house exterior wall, I think the standard is one coat of prime and two coats of paint? I will be painting it white. In the past for interior I have used Benjamin Moore's Fresh Start, is this good for exterior paint too? If so I think I will use that and Benjamin Moore exterior paint.

(3) The fascia board also need to be sanded and painted. Some of the existing paint has cracked. Wood seems to be OK. Now, do I need to remove the aluminum gutters in order to properly sand and paint the wood, or can I leave it on and sand and paint around it? I am not sure which is more time consuming, any idea?

(4) There are some minor cracks near one vertical wall, and some other cracks at the bottom near the ground. I need to seal those before painting. What should I use to seal those? Caulk it? Stucco over it or use some specialty sealer?

Any comments and suggestions appreciated.

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

If the stucco was painted just repaint , no need to prime it, if its still stucco not painted, re-stuccoing it is best. You can try painting the tile but it will eventualy fail. Use Ben Moore primer and paint, its about as good as you can get.

Reply to
m Ransley

I would look to see if a concrete stain exists for such use.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Clean, scrape, prime fascia. We can't see the gutters, so can tell what to do. Lift them up to reach behind?

Spray exterior with bleach, pressure wash, let dry. There is brushable caulk that goes on fine cracks and covers well with paint. Acryllic primer, one coat. Acryllic paint; two coats recommended but ours is doing great with one.

Elastomeric sounds like high priced acryllic/latex. Use a good brand of exterior primer and paint. Semi=gloss.

Reply to
Norminn

Exterior, if its painted stucco which it probably is. And if its old and chalky, pealing,etc. Pressure wash the heck out of it to remove as much loose paint as possible, go over trouble areas with wire brush. Otherwise you're new paint will be adhearing too loose old paint and will come off. I would suggest calling in someone with a truck mounted pressure washer and pump...will do a million times better and faster than those small units.

For cracks you can fill with outdoor caulking, or use stucco patch. I find the premixed stucco patch looks like crap and is very noticable, so i just use a bag of stucco or stucco patch you have to mix yourself. But you need to fill the cracks, storms push water in and can loosen the stucco from the block. Also if the cracks are in the block which is pretty common in florida ,as opposed to just the stucco shrinkage type cracks, and you really dont want the cracks to come back, grind back some of the stucco, concrete nail wire mesh over the block cracks, then put stucco back on and match the texture.

For painting prime if your old paint was very chalky, you'll likely use two coats of primer cause the stucco will soak it up. Then one coat of praint will probably do it. You'll use a ton less paint if you prime the heck out of it.

- shawn

Reply to
shawn

Thanks shawn. Very sound advise. Very much appreciated.

MC

Reply to
miamicuse