painting galvanized flashing

The roofers did a nice job and the new roof looks fine except for one thing: the galvanized valley flashing kinda sticks out visually. I'd like to paint it to blend in better if not actually match the shingles. The shingles are a light grayish brown, "driftwood" or some such, the flashing is shiny silver. So, what's the best way to paint them. Special preparation required? Best kind of primer and paint? Have you done this successfully? -- H

It can be painted after it ages a bit. For best results use a quality metal primer and paint.
Assuming it was just done, I would not paint before Spring of next year.
If you absolutely must do it sooner wash it down with a strong detergent and rinse well. I usually use powder dish machine soap mixed strong enough to feel slimy. I find it cheaper than a commercial product and just as effective.
--
Colbyt

Are you sure it's galvanized and not mill finish aluminum? Not sure where you are, but around here there is essentially no such thing as a galvanized valley. Standard is aluminum for the budget minded, and copper for those with some spare dough.
In any event, I'd think painting a valley and having it last would be problematic. Factories use a baked on finish, and you can't replicate that at, or on, your home.
september.org:

Rainwater is naturally slightly acidic on acount of its reaction with natural CO2 in the atmosphere. Over time, I guess rainwater's mild carbonic-acid content would etch zinc-washed steel sufficient to allow proper paint adhesion.
But... automakers a while ago went through absolute hell trying to make paint stick reliably to zinc-washed steel, so I'm also guessing rainwater alone might not do it for you.
--
Tegger

On 9/10/2010 9:03 PM, Tegger wrote:

When I was working on a Core of Engineers project some years ago, there was a request to paint some of our galvanized conduit. The painters told me the pipe would have to be primed with what they called "green wash". It was my understanding that the stuff etched the zinc surface so the paint would stick to it. I heard of this being recommended:
http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/u-pol-acid-8-1k-etch-primer-up0741-p-15132.aspx
http://preview.tinyurl.com/3a9zoyd
TDD

I bet its aluminum, paint wont last long with all that water running down it. There is prepainted aluminum in colors I would first ask the roofer why he used silver, its to bad you paid him, maybe slipping a smaller painted piece over the silver would work.
You could wash with vinegar, then prime with an acid etching primer, then paint. The paint will flake off in less than a year, then you can repaint and it will stay.
Or
Wait one year, then paint with any color you want. It will not need primer, etc.
--
DanG