Painting galvanized fence posts

I am moving a fence and after working on it for awhile, I don't think the original plan of taking the old ones and replanting them is going to work. The original ones are black. The replacement black ones are about twice the price of the replacement galvanized. I can obviously buy quite a lot of spray paint for the difference. Any particular reason I shouldn't go this route??

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You need to read up on painting new galvanising and there are different types, its common to let the galvanising age out a up to a year and use a latex primer, its not like painting regular steel, pick your products carefully, you can wash and prep it but If it was my fence id get products and advise from a real paint store. Worst case is it all peels and you have 4x the mess in a few years.

Reply to
ransley

Anyone living on east or west coasts knows that galvanizing lasts far longer than any paint, except one, referred to in the industry as 'zinc rich' which is 90% or so zinc content, and therefore nearly like galvanizing. Obviously, with a durable substrate and proper topcoat of your chosen color you should have a respectable job that can last many years. I say, save the $$.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

What kind of paint is on the pre-painted? It may be powder coated and much more durable than the home painted ones. Check the specs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The prepainted are double the galvanized price. I will be moving in 3 years tops. Durability is not a real big consideration for me at this point.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Also, these are along the back 40, so to speak, and won't be seen all that often except the couple times a month I mow the area.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman