Painting Front Door/New Door Lockset

Help! I don't know where to start.

The previous owners have at least three coats of paint on my front door. From the elements, the paint has hair line cracks in it. Can a professional painter sand and repaint, or paint over it? I know you cannot tell me without probably seeing the door. I hate to get a new door as it is in great shape otherwise.

Also, the door handle and dead bolt is corroded from the elements. Does anyone have a Baldwin lockset and if so, is it really guaranteed to last as advertised?

If I get a new handle and deadbolt, will it fit the old holes, or is it best to let a locksmith order the set and install it?

Finally, should I get the new lockset installed first? My thinking is if I need to have the painter patch an old hole, I would want to paint after the lockset is installed.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am really confused as how to tackle this project.

Many thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

i have a baldwin lockset. it's a large step up from the standard kwikset. it's lasted 12 years in the phx sun (door faces south) without trouble or discoloration.

it would help a lot to have a lockset fit the same holes and pattern. there are many different kinds, but most locksets can be had with a knob or lever. you can have a latch (with or without key) and a seperate deadbolt. you don't say what you have and haven't provided any pictures anywhere so we can't tell.

the cover plate around the lockset may be a different size. it's unlikely that the hole will be a different size, but there are different offsets, so you need to get the same ones. filling the hole is difficult, and easier to replace the door at that point.

yes, you'll want to have the lockset in hand. the painter can strip the old door, finish it, and then you'll want to have the new lockset installed.

Reply to
chaniarts

Ideally, get the locksmith and painter to come out on the same day. Have them talk with each other. The painter should do his thing first, the locksmith second.

Baldwin is expensive, but good.

Let the painter supply his own paint, the locksmith his own lock.

.

[...]

Stormin Mormon

Handing a locksmith a lock to install is like handing a chef an egg to fry. It's rather insulting.

.

yes, you'll want to have the lockset in hand. the painter can strip the old door, finish it, and then you'll want to have the new lockset installed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You don't say what kind of door - solid wood, veneered, steel, fiberglass, etc.

Generally cracked/crazed paint CAN be sanded down and painted, but depending on the pattern (six panel, etc) it can be a difficult, time consuming, and therefore pricey job. A straight slab door - no problem.

As for the latchset, you MAY be able to find one that is a direct fit. If not, you want to plug and finish the old hole and redrill the new bolt location and test fit the latch-set before painting, then remove

- finish sand the door, repaint, and then after the paint is fully dried, replace the latchset.

Reply to
clare

If you're gonna hire painters, they will know what to do. If you do it yourself, a head gun usually removes the old paint, or paint stripper.

There are some very durable epoxy paints in spray cans that could be put on your lock/handle. Remove it from the door, pay it on paper outdoors (when it's not windy), and spray it. If the lock still works, why replace it.

Reply to
tangerine3

I can see that. Better that she just stick it in herself.

Reply to
dadiOH

Let me guess? You read that in Hints from Heloise?

.

There are some very durable epoxy paints in spray cans that could be put on your lock/handle. Remove it from the door, pay it on paper outdoors (when it's not windy), and spray it. If the lock still works, why replace it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

remove door and all door hardware put on horses, strip paint, do it outdoors in free air the nasty remover works best.

neatrulize stripper, sand door well. let dry well.

then paint door let dry, install new hardware and replace

Reply to
bob haller

Better to use a heat gun. You can use the head gun if the job gets too much for you. :-)

Reply to
willshak